How do I allow a person to login to my website?
- Firstly they must be person under Contacts > People. If this is a new person, just click Add. If they are already there, just click Edit.
- Ensure they have a Username set. This can be anything but must be unique. Using the person's email address is a good option.
- For security you can't set a password for them. A password should only ever be known to them. So under Password, tick Send email with instructions on how to choose their password.
- Ensure Status is set to Active.
Help! The person says they can't log in
Things to check:
- Do they have a Username set under their profile?
- Are they using their Username? Sometimes people enter their email address when the username is actually something else.
- Is their Status set to Active? If it's set to Disabled, they won't be able to login.
- Are they using the right password? Perhaps get them to do a password reset. Remember, passwords are case-sensitive.
- Do you have a login link for them to click on? (see below).
How do I show a login link?
There's a few ways a person can login:
- By clicking on the login link in the utility navigation at the top of the page. When a site is first created we add this by default. If you have an existing site, or have removed it in the past, you can re-add it. Just go to Website > Settings > Navigation, under Utility navigation links click Add, change the Type to Login, then click Add.
- If any page is set to require a login to view it, then we always present the person with a login screen if they aren't already logged in.
- On the checkout page, there's a login button they can click,
- They can always access the login directly by typing /account/login after your domain name in the address bar.