Ava Web: real-time captions on your desktop! Shown here captioning a Zoom call
Presenting 🖥 Ava Web
Ava Web is a new service that allows you to join any Ava conversation on a computer through a website. This makes it possible for you to read the live transcript on your computer using Ava.
⚠️ Ava Web is currently supported for only Chrome and Safari.
This article will explain how to login to Ava Web, how to start and join a conversation, how to save transcripts, caption conference call, as well as how to use all the other features included in Ava Web. To learn how to use Ava Web for school, click here.
Who can use Ava Web?
Full access to Ava Web is exclusively available for those who are subscribed to Ava Starter, Pro, or Enterprise. However, if you have Ava Free or Premium, you can mirror using Ava Web. Jump ahead to find out how!
When to use Ava Web?
- 🖥 To caption without using multiple devices: now you can use your computer to play digital content/participate in conference calls AND caption. No need to set-up any additional devices!
- 📚 During a presentation or a class: Ava Web will make it easier for you to follow what is being said in class by enhancing your reading experience and providing you with a transcript in one click once the conversation is over. With this setup, no one else will have to download Ava but you.
- 💼 For conference calls or work meetings: Ava Web makes it easy to caption any conference call or Zoom meeting. Now, you can follow along in meetings, or even broadcast the captions directly in Zoom!
- 🎟 During an event: Ava Web is a way to join an existing conversation without requiring your attendees to download Ava.
- 😶 If you don’t use your voice: you will find Ava Web particularly useful to interact during work or school group settings when multiple participants are connected to Ava and being captioned. With Ava Web, you will be able to reply faster using the keyboard.
🔐 Signing into Ava Web
1. Access Ava Web page on your computer browser (⚠️ Note: Ava Web is currently supported on Google Chrome and Apple Safari. It may be able to load, but not fully function on other browsers).
2. Click on Sign In in the top right corner.
3. Click on the option that matches the way you originally signed up.
💬 Starting a Conversation in Ava Web
After you have logged into Ava Web, you can quickly start a captioning session! This method uses your computer's microphone to "listen" and caption what people are saying.
If you want Ava to dial-in to a conference call to listen, jump ahead!
1. Click on "🎙 Start Captions now"
If you are using Ava Web for the first time, you'll see a popup asking for permission to your microphone. Click on Allow to let Ava "hear."
2. After granting access, make sure that the 🎙 microphone icon is blue. This means that the microphone is active and is picking up sounds from the computer's built-in microphone (unless you have it set otherwise).
💡 A few things to note:
To enhance accuracy, make sure to connect a Bluetooth or wired headset with a microphone and that the environment isn't too noisy.
If you are using Ava to "listen" to the speech coming out of the speakers, make sure that your computer speakers' volume is set to about medium (too high or too low might make it hard for Ava to decipher speech).
If you are using Ava to caption a conference call, jump ahead!
➕ Group Conversations
You can invite participants to join the conversation, whether they are using their 📱 mobile phone or 🖥 Ava Web.
Method 1: Share your unique conversation link
Have you ever shared a link to a Google Docs document? This link functions similarly, except you don't have to deal with any of the sharing settings! Just share it with your participants and they can join from their desktop or mobile! 👍
1. Click on "+ Invite Participant." This will copy the link to your clipboard.
2. Send your 🔗 link to whomever you'd like, however you'd like!
3. Have you participant click on the link and join the conversation 🗣
Method 2: Sharing your unique personal link
If you use Ava on your phone, you can find your unique personal link by click on Start Subtitles > Add. You can share this link for anyone to join you from their desktop or mobile!
Method 3: For those who have the Ava app, join by searching your AvaName (Mobile)
First, make sure the host has already started the conversation session on Ava Web (see 💬 Starting a Conversation in Ava Web)
For your participant: On the Ava app, tap on 👥 Contacts. Then, type in the host's AvaName in the search bar and tap on Connect (see below)
Method 4: For those who want to join on Ava Web (whether they have an Ava account or not), join by searching your AvaName
- Go to Ava Web
- Sign in (not required)
- In the text box under "Find a Conversation to join," enter the host's AvaName and click on Join Room (see below)
👯♂️ Mirroring a Conversation in Ava Web
If you'd like to display captions on your desktop from your phone (mirroring), you can use the "Join Room" button. (‼ Bonus: this works for Ava Free and Ava Premium members, too!)
1. Start a caption session on your phone 📱 by tapping on 🎙 Start Subtitles
2. On 🖥 Ava Web, Enter your Avaname where it says "Type Ava Name."
3. Click "Join Room"
4. Watch as Ava captions using the microphone from your phone to "hear."
💡 Note: This is useful for captioning with one speaker while social distancing. You can place your phone close to the speaker, or hand it to them (if you feel comfortable) for them to speak into.
☎ Using Ava Web for Conference Calls
Ava Web is compatible to work with Zoom and other conferencing call tools!
📹 If you are using Zoom, click here to learn how to set-up captions for Zoom.
☎️ If you are using a conference calling tool other than Zoom, click here to learn how to dial-in.
✍️ Requesting a Scribe in Ava Web
Looking to boost your captions? You can request a Scribe in Ava Web for 99% accuracy! Click here to learn how.
⌨️ Using Ava Web keyboard to Respond
You can type in your responses directly into Ava Web using the keyboard function.
1. Once you have started or joined a conversation, click on the keyboard icon on the top right-hand corner.
2. You will be able to type your response at the bottom of the page, just as you would any chat or messaging app. Press enter ⏎ or click the blue ＞ icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen.
✍️ Editing or Deleting Text
Ava Web allows you to make live corrections of the transcript generated by Ava. To do edit or delete incorrect words, double click on the word and start typing the correct word. Then press enter ⏎
⭐️ Other Ava Web Features
You can access other Ava Web features by clicking on the three lines ☰ on the upper-left corner of the screen (font size, Ava Web “theme”, full-screen mode, save transcript, or change language).
To learn how to broadcast captions to Zoom, click here.