Ava real-time captions of Michelle Obama keynote, November 2017
If your venue/event/conference is equipped with Ava
Look for signage or communication giving you the venue's Ava Name.
If the venue/event/conference is not equipped with Ava (yet!)
If you know well the organization
- Give them information on how they can setup Ava accessibility for this event by sharing this guide.
If you're more than a week before the event
- Find the contact information of the event organizers
- Fill an accessibility request with the button below, so we can help you request accessibility for this event.
- We'll be in touch to guide you and try to get accessibility for you by contacting the organizers. If we don't have an answer until 1 week before the event, we'll let you know and you may consider the next section.
If you're less than 1 week before (Do-It-Yourself approach)
- If the venue is small and you can ask help to the presenter, read this guide to setup Ava there.
- If this is a larger event, there's a chance you can make it work (we did, many many times!)
1) Can you order this and this pieces and get them in time for the event? If so, we advise you to do it. The good news is that you will be able to use these to caption any event you'll need to be at in your life.
2) Print this guide for instructions on how to set up Ava at the event
3) Can you get another tablet, smartphone or computer (that can access Wifi) than the one you have Ava with? This will help you being ready. Bring both devices charged, and a charger if you can.
4) Come early at the event, and ask if they have any accessibility accommodation. If they don't, explain that you brought your own smart captioner, that can bring captions for you to follow the event, that can be set up in less than 5 minutes. Show the guide you printed and ask to see an audio engineer (usually working at the audio mixers of the room) to try to set it up.
5) Follow the instructions to a) connect the hardware, b) setup one of the device with Ava on. If you can, keep your smartphone charged. If you brought 2 devices, you can leave one of the device near the audio system, and go into the audience, follow on your device the live-captions. If you have Ava Professional or Ava Campus, you'll be able to follow on a computer.
6) Don't forget to get everything back at the end and thank the staff!
- Any question? Ask us right there.