Archiving ensures that data in Benchling can only be archived — or hidden from working view — and never permanently deleted. It applies to projects, notebook entries, and inventory items and lets you:
- Continue to remove items from working view
- Easily search and recover any archived data
- Retain complete history of your team's work
This article will review how you can archive a file on Benchling and provide answers to the most commonly asked questions about the feature.
Note that archiving is not available in our Workflow or Request Management products.
How to archive data
- You can archive any project, notebook entry, or inventory file by right-clicking on the item. A menu that includes an option to Archive will appear.
- When you select Archive, you'll be prompted to provide the reason why the item is archived (e.g. Made in Error, Expended, etc.). This information can be viewed by you and your teammates so your team can retain context on why the item was archived.
- Once you confirm the archive, the file will now be hidden from working view.
How to retrieve archived data
- To retrieve an archived item, navigate to the Project Folder the item was archived in, click on the gear button under the project header, then select Display archived items.
- When you hover your cursor above Display Archived Items you will be able to toggle the view of Not archived and Archived data sorted by archive reason. In the example below, you'll see that view of Not archived data is toggled off and view of Archived data for all reasons is toggled on.
- Since archived data live within the project folder it's archived in, no file context is lost. If you click on the archived file itself, you will be able to access the file with read-only access.
- You can also retrieve your archived data via search.
How to restore archived data
- To unarchive or restore the archived file, simply right click on the file and select Unarchive. Once a file is unarchived, it will be once again accessible in working view and can be edited by users who have write access to the project that the file belongs to.
How to keep track of an item's archive history (Startup and Enterprise only)
You can view the archive history of an item by exporting an audit log of that item. Just select the files you want to audit from Benchling's Expanded View and select Export Icon→Export Audit Logs. A CSV file containing the full archive history of the item will then be generated.
How to permanently delete data
In the rare case that you need a file to be permanently deleted (e.g. sensitive data with personally identifiable information), please have your Benchling Administrator contact our team so we can assist with the deletion.