The following article applies to academic users.
If you're an enterprise user, please contact Benchling directly.
An organization is the ideal way of managing data with multiple users. When you're a part of an organization, you can manage read/write project permissions for an entire organization.
For Team Members: Organizations allow you and your group to share sequences, primers, features, and more, all from a centrally accessible location. No more ordering duplicate primers or asking Jeffrey down the hall for his updated sequence map.
For Team Leads: Organizations give you fine-grained controls over all aspects of the group. Like sharing, groups can be prevented from making shared sequences public, interns can be given read-only access to sequences.
Join an organization
1. Click your profile in the bottom left corner, and then Join Organization
2. Enter your organization’s username, and click Request to Join
Create an organization
- Click your profile in the bottom left corner, and then Join Organization
- Enter your organization’s name, and click Create new one now!
3. Enter your organization’s name, give it a handle (a unique username that other users can easily search for), and click Create
Once the organization is created, the account that made the request will be added to the organization as the sole administrator.
Manage an organization and users (members)
Only admins are able to edit the organization profile information, as well as invite new members to the organization.
- Click your profile in the bottom left corner, and then select your organization’s name.
- On your organization’s “Members” tab, you can manage members’ roles, remove members, and add new members:
To add a member to the organization, you can either use their Benchling username or their email address. If you add their Benchling username, they will be automatically added to the organization and can begin collaborating with you. If you enter their email, the user will be emailed a link to register, and will be automatically added to the organization upon registering.
An admin may remove a member by clicking the "trash icon" when highlighting over a user in this tab.
3. On your organization’s “Settings” tab, you can edit your organization’s information, including its name, export the organization’s data, or delete the organization. To change the organization handle, please contact Benchling directly.
Leaving an organization
- Click your profile in the bottom left corner, and then click the organization’s name.
- In the organization’s “Members” tab, highlight over the row that lists you as a member.
- Click the trash icon that should have appeared on the right-hand side of the row.