When you first launch the application, you are prompted to sign in.
1) If displayed, enter the login Uniform Resource Locator (URL) provided by the service provider.
2) Enter your bOnline username and password (email@example.com)
3) Select whether you would like Communicator to remember your password.
4) Select whether you would like Communicator to sign you in automatically on subsequent launches.
5) Click Sign In.
When you start the Communicator for the first time, you will see four icons on the left panel, these are:
- Contacts - View and interact with your contacts
- Chat History - View all Instant Message chats/ create new Instant Message chats (Please note that these chats can only be conducted with people within your organisation using the same platform)
- Call History - View all previous calls
- Dialpad - Paste/manually dial to make calls
When you first open the Communicator, the Contacts list is empty. Contacts can be added manually by clicking the Add (+) button.
(** Please note that these chats can only be conducted with people within your organisation using the same platform **)
Start a chat tab using one of the following methods:
- Double-click a contact from the Contacts list or search results.
- Right-click one or more contacts from the Contacts list or search results and click the Chat button.
- On the Chat History list, double-click a chat entry.
In a one-to-one chat, you are able to transfer files by clicking the Send File button (bottom right) in the Communications window or use the “drag and drop” method so that they are moved to the Communications window.
In the top right corner of the Chat window, there is a list of available features:
- Video Call
- Call from IP Phone
- Share your screen
- View the person’s profile
(** Only applicable for Premium Users **)
My Room is an ‘always available’ and ‘permanent’ conference room you can use to chat with anyone that joins.
You can invite others to your room by dragging and dropping them from the Contacts list into the My Room tab. You can also use the right-click menu on the My Room icon in the top-right corner of the Main Window or use the Conversations tab to open the My Room.information area to copy an invitation link for guest users (people without Communicator). They can then click the link and join the meeting through a web browser. Guest users must be separately accepted for each session.
Contacts join your room by right-clicking your name on their Contact list and selecting ‘Join Room’ or by an invitation you sent.
Email My Room Invitation menu results in working links for guest users only. Communicator users are recommended to use Copy My Room Invitation links; however, the links may not work in all applications as they were originally intended for Outlook.
There are multiple ways to initiate a call using the Communicator.
You can right-click on a contact from your contact list and select the Call option, from this section you are also able to initiate a video call provided the contact has the ability to use video calling.
You are also able to use the dialpad to simply paste/type in the number and select the Dial icon. The Dialpad has three dialling options; you are able to place a video call, dial a number through a normal telephone call as well as dial through an IP phone that is linked to your bOnline Cloud Phone account.
Once in a call, there are a multitude of in-call options that are at your disposal:
- You are able to hang up the active call
- Place the call on hold using the Pause icon
- You are able to mute your microphone
You are able to transfer the active call to a contact, an internal extension as well as any external number:
- Transfer now will blind transfer the call to the recipient.
- Attended call transfer is also available in the same window, first call someone to check if the called party can take the incoming call and then transfer the incoming call to the desired called party.
The Add People icon allows you to add more participants to the active call, this will create a conference call between you and all participants
When someone is calling you, you see a pop-up notification on your screen. You can choose to answer, silence the incoming call, and then open a chat session with the caller, reject the call, or silence the incoming call by closing the pop-up notification window. If you silence the call (by closing the pop-up window), the ringtone is silenced but the caller does not see anything on their end - the call is still in progress.
You can answer or reject the call after silencing it only if you have chosen the chat option. If you close the incoming call pop-up notification to silence an incoming call, then you do not have an option to answer or reject it anymore. When choosing the chat option, chat is only enabled after the call has been answered or rejected.
If you reject the call, it causes the line to sound busy at the caller’s end and they know that you rejected the call.
When someone is calling you with a video call, you see the same pop-up notification; however, the options are; answer with video, answer as voice only, silence and chat, reject, or silence (by closing the pop-up window). If you decide to answer as voice only, the call is voice only.
To check your VoiceMail messages, select the Call History tab then select the VoiceMail tab on the right, this will display a list of people that have left you a VoiceMail. To listen to each VoiceMail, simply double click on the listed message and it will automatically play.
On the right-hand side of each VoiceMail listing is a “More Options” icon, this will allow the user to:
- Play the VoiceMail
- Mark as a new VoiceMail
- Download and Save the VoiceMail onto your computer
- Delete the VoiceMail
- Chat with the person that left the message (Only people within your organisation that are using the Communicator)
- Call the person back
- Video Call the person
- Call them through an IP phone that is linked to your bOnline Cloud Phone account.
- Copy their phone number to your PC clipboard
- View and edit their profile
There is also the option to have the VoiceMail message emailed through any specified email address for later listening.
Available: The green presence icon indicates that the user is online and ready for communication.
Away: The yellow presence icon indicates that the user is online but has been idle or away from their computer for more than ten minutes.
Busy: The red presence icon indicates that the user is busy and does not want to be disturbed.
Offline: The grey presence icon indicates that the user is offline and the only available contact method is calling or leaving a chat message.
From the Calls Tab, you will have access to all your Call Settings:
- Change Volume and Mute Calls
- Set your number to “Do Not Disturb” - When you activate this service, all calls are typically blocked by the server and are sent to VoiceMail. Enable this service by enabling the service icon.
- Set up your Call Forwarding - Enter a number to which your calls should be forwarded. Different variants of Call Forwarding are supported, such as forwarding always, forwarding when busy, and forwarding when you cannot answer or when you are unreachable. In addition, you can specify the number of rings before call forwarding is triggered.
- Remote Office - Set up a remote phone so any incoming calls to your landline will ring on this remote phone
- bOnline Anywhere - (Call forwarding to multiple devices) Callers dial one number and can reach you on any phone the user chooses. A desk phone, cell phone, and/or a soft phone may ring simultaneously.
- Change your Incoming and Outgoing calling settings such as Blocking your caller ID
- Change your default Dialing Service (Call, Call from IP Phone, Video Call)
- Pull Call - This pulls an active call from one of your other devices to continue on your PC Communicator
- Retrieve Parked Call: Pick up any call that has been parked by yourself or another user
- VoiceMail - Access your Voicemail portal
The Conversations Tab allows for easy access to features for any active conversations including Calls, Chats and Video Calls.
You can access your My Room to conduct a conference call and live chat or view any of your current invitations to an active Room.
When an active call is in place, this will be displayed with recipient’s name or Room name.
From this section you are able to:
- Place the active call on Hold
- Transfer the active call to another number or another agent
- Create a conference call
- Park the active call
- Show the active call in the Dialpad
- Open a new tab for the active call with Chat feature
- Hide your video feed (Only applicable with Video Calling)
- Show all chat history
- Delete chat history
- Share your screen
- Add a live Chat window for this call
- End the call
- Move call over to physical IP phone
- Add Video Feature to active call
- Join recipient’s My Room
- View and edit the recipients profile