Getting Started Checklist
Set up your school on either the mobile app (Android or Apple) or on the website. The features for daily reports, check in, and messaging can only be found on the App - so make sure to download it as part of the set up process.
Step 1 -- ACCOUNT SETUP
Web or App
Add Students and Rooms
- Option A - Let brightwheel do the work for you by uploading your roster. Lean how here.
- Option B - Alternatively, you can do this set up yourself. Here is how to add rooms, and here is how to add your students.
Step 2 -- STAFF
Web or App
- Add & invite Staff - Once they are added they will automatically be given access to all rooms so you will need to manually edit their room access, see more on staff room assignments here. Once they create a staff account with the same email address listed in the school account, then your staff can begin playing around and familiarizing themselves with the app by documenting activities in the demo room.
- Train the Staff on brightwheel - Have your staff watch this video and walk through the articles in the linked article to set them up for success.
Step 3 -- PARENTS
Web or App
- Inform & invite Parents - While brightwheel does send invitations to parents, we know parents are more likely to open emails from someone they know such as the director or teacher at the center rather than a large company. We recommend that centers personalize and send parents one of the draft emails in this doc. Use Draft 1 if you wish to only use brightwheel for communicating with parents and/or attendance. Use Draft 2 if you wish to use both 1) brightwheel billing and 2) brightwheel for communicating with parents and/or attendance.
Step 4 -- INTERACT
- Attendance & Check In - Choose the best check-in setting to fit your needs and requirements.
- Daily Reports & Activities - Quickly view and send daily activity reports to yourself or parents in just a few clicks.
- Messaging - Streamline your parent communication by sending in app messages or alerts via SMS text messages to individual parents or to an entire room.
- Calendar & Events - Use the built-in calendar to schedule events. Parents can view this calendar anytime from their child's profile.
Step 5 -- MEASURE & REPORT
- Reports & Data - Utilize brightwheel reports internal use or compliance. See an example of each report so that you find the best report for your needs.
- Billing - Brightwheel billing is an all in one system that allows your families to pay Tuition & fees paid via ACH, credit/debit cards, checks, or cash. Deposits are made to your account in 2 – 3 business days from the time parents hit “pay” and receipts are sent directly to parents. Billing is able to be automated with weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly plans.
Find out more about special features only available for Admins: Admin Tools
Still evaluating? We encourage you to Pilot brightwheel with one classroom or one family and get feedback from your parents! Click here to learn more about brightwheel’s mission, strategy, and future pricing or download the app to play around with some sample students.
Want to pitch brightwheel to your school or board? Use these Resources
*Upgrade to Premium* Hitting a roadblock? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org