Completed appointment bookings can be tracked as custom events in Google Analytics. In order to set up event tracking follow the setup below -
Using Google Tag Manager (GTM)
1. Google Tag Manager Account: Make sure you have a Google Tag Manager account and that you have added the GTM container code to your website.
2. Have a GA4 property setup for the website
3. GA4 Configuration Tag: Make sure you have a Google Analytics 4 configuration tag set up in your GTM container. If you haven't done this yet, create one by going to "Tags" > "New" > "Tag Configuration" > "Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration" and then enter your GA4 measurement ID.
Creating the Data Layer Variable in GTM
Navigate to Variables: In Google Tag Manager, go to the "Variables" section from the sidebar.
New User-Defined Variable: Click on "New" under "User-Defined Variables".
Variable Configuration: Click on "Variable Configuration" and choose "Data Layer Variable".
Data Layer Variable Name: Enter the name of the Data Layer key you want to capture. In this example, it would be "label".
Data Layer Version: Usually, you'll use version 2 unless you have a specific reason to use version 1.
Variable Name in GTM: Give your variable a descriptive name so you can identify it later. For example, "CareCru_appointment_Label".
Save: Click "Save" to create your Data Layer Variable.
Setting Up the Tag
1. Create a New Tag: In Google Tag Manager, go to "Tags" and then click on the "New" button.
2. Choose Tag Configuration: Select "Google Analytics: GA4 Event."
3. Configure Tag:
Event Name: Enter an event name like "new_appointment_request".
GA4 Configuration Tag: Choose your existing GA4 configuration tag from the drop-down, or enter your GA4 measurement ID.
Event Parameters: Since you have multiple pieces of data (Action, Category, Label), set up the following key-value pairs:
New Appointment Request
CareCru Online Scheduler
Click the Lego icon and select the data layer variable you just created in the previous step/ or enter the Practice Code or Practice name
Setting Up the Trigger
Create a New Trigger: In the "Triggering" section, click to add a new trigger.
Trigger Configuration: Select "Custom Event" as the trigger type.
Event Name: New Appointment Request
(Checkbox for Use regex matching is disabled)
This Trigger fires on - Select Some Custom Events
Fire this trigger when an Event occurs and all of these conditions are true -
New Appointment Request
5. Click Save
Preview and Test: Use GTM's Preview mode to test that the event is being populated correctly and that the GA4 tag is firing as expected
Publish: Once you've verified that everything is working, go ahead and publish the changes.