Minimum Requirements to install and use Microsoft Outlook Add-Ins
For Outlook add-ins to load and function properly, there are a number of requirements for both the servers and the clients. In addition, for CloudExtend add-ins there are several NetSuite prerequisites.
Ensure that the following permissions are enabled:
- Web Services
- Login using access tokens
- Documents and Files (if users will be attaching files)
- Track Messages
In addition ensure that the role is not set to a 'web services only' role and that the role has the necessary permissions for each record type the user will be working with.
Outlook and Exchange Prerequisites
Below is a list of prerequisites to run Microsoft Add-Ins built for Outlook. It is compiled from this Microsoft support article.
Outlook Client Prerequisites
The client must be connected to an Exchange server or Office 365 using a direct connection. When configuring the client, the user must choose an Exchange, Office 365, or Outlook.com account type. If the client is configured to connect with POP3 or IMAP, add-ins will not load.
The following clients support Outlook add-ins:
- Outlook with an O365 subscription*
- Outlook 2013 or later for Windows (limited functionality without an O365 subscription)
- Outlook 2016 or later for Mac
- Outlook for iOS
- Outlook on the web for Exchange 2016 and Office 365
- Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2013
Mail Server Prerequisites
Exchange Servers on Office 365 or outlook.com
If the user is connected to Office 365 or Outlook.com, mail server requirements are all taken care of already.
On Premises Exchange Servers
For users connected to on-premises installations of Exchange Server, the following requirements apply.
- The server must be Exchange 2013 or later.
- Exchange Web Services (EWS) must be enabled and must be exposed to the Internet. Many add-ins require EWS to function properly.
- The server must have a valid authentication certificate in order for the server to issue valid identity tokens. New installations of Exchange Server include a default authentication certificate. For more information, see Digital certificates and encryption in Exchange 2016 and Set-AuthConfig.
- To access add-ins from the Office Store, the client access servers must be able to communicate with AppSource.
Add-in server requirements
* Some current features such as categorization of emails and many future features are dependent on the latest API's from Microsoft. An O365 subscription ensures that you will receive feature updates (new and improved API's) from Microsoft.