There are different types of roles on Charlie.
- Account roles - everyone on your account will have one.
- Leadership roles - additional roles for managers.
- Owner roles - for looking after your Charlie account.
1. Account roles
Every person on Charlie has an account role. This controls what they can see and do for everyone across the company account.
- Highest account role.
- Can see and do everything across the account.
- Often get notifications about people across the company.
- Best for: Founders of small teams, HR managers, Heads of Operations.
- Similar to Super Admin.
- Can see and do the majority of things across the account.
- Can’t see payroll and salary information.
- Get notifications about people across the company.
- Best for: Assistant HR /Operation managers/Office managers.
- Access to personal information.
- Access to salary and payroll information.
- Limited ability to edit things.
- Best for: External accountants, internal Finance managers.
- Lowest permission level.
- Limited access to information about other people.
- Most people have this- often including managers and heads of departments.
2. Leadership roles - additional roles for managers
On top of their account roles, people can also be given leadership roles. These control what they can see and do for specific groups of people. People can have multiple leadership roles.
A good time to think about who to give these roles to is when setting up your company structure on Charlie.
- Gives extra access to people they’re the Line Manager for.
- Can see and edit personal information for people they directly manage.
- Can approve holiday requests and receive notifications about people they directly manage.
- Can’t access salary information of people they directly manage.
- Best for: (Real-life) Direct managers.
- Gives managers extra access to people in their team.
- Can see and edit personal information for people in their team.
- Can approve holiday requests and receive notifications about people in their team.
- Can’t access salary information of people in their team.
- Best for: Heads of teams, Project Managers, Product Managers.
See our guidance for using these roles here. (change link)
3. Owner roles - for looking after your Charlie account
You will need a Billing Owner on your account.
- They will receive invoices for your account payments.