Importing email Subscribers into ConvertKit is a simple task—if you can answer one question correctly:
Did you get permission to email the people on this list?
(And no, just having them in your address book isn't enough.) Each person on that list needs to have opted in to receive your email Broadcasts or Sequences on this topic. If you aren't certain you have permission, stop right now. You may not use that list in ConvertKit [or any other email marketing provider].
So what's the verdict?
I have permission!
Great! Let's move forward.
Importing a CSV into your ConvertKit Account:
In ConvertKit you can import Subscribers into any Form, Tag, and/or Sequence.
- If you import Subscribers into a Form your Incentive Email will NOT go out.
- If you Import into a Tag alone, your Subscribers will only be Tagged. If, however, your Tag is connected to a Sequence through an Automation your Subscribers will be Tagged and sent through the Automation.
- If you import Subscribers into a Sequence they will start the Sequence.
We recommend importing into a Tag. Here's a video that explains it (text and screenshot below):
1. Identify which lists or Tags you want to bring over
In your current email provider, find your Subscriber lists and choose which you want to export to ConvertKit.
2. Export each list individually
Find the export button and begin the download.
3. Create a Tag in ConvertKit
Inside your ConvertKit account, go to Subscribers, then click "+ Create a tag" in the sidebar. Give your Tag a name (it can match the list you just exported, if you like.)
4. Select "Import a CSV"
5. Import your CSV
Once your Tag is saved click "Import Subscribers" in the sidebar. Select your newly created Tag for your import.
Add the CSV you exported to the uploader. (Click and browse or drag and drop it into the box.)
Import Custom Fields
By default, ConvertKit only imports First Name and Email address. If you want to import additional fields from your ESP, you'll need to set up those fields in ConvertKit before import. Here's how!
- If you don't have any Subscribers yet, add yourself by clicking the + button and entering your information.
- Now click on your subscription profile.
- Click on "+ Add a new field" link below the default field.
- Name and add as many fields as needed!
6. Go down the list and select the correct column for the correct field in ConvertKit.
This is really important: You want to make sure to map your CSV columns to the correct fields.
In the example below, we've added Custom Fields, but you need to map your columns even if you don't have any custom fields. If you don't select a column, that information will not be added to ConvertKit!
Please Note: If you import a CSV with information about an existing Subscriber, that will override and replace the information you have stored in ConvertKit. This is a great way to correct names or issues in bulk!
7. Repeat the process for each list you want to import
Once you go through it the first time, it's pretty fast to do again. Just select a Tag, export, create the Tag in ConvertKit, and hit Import!
Also, don't worry about importing the same Subscriber multiple times (if they were in multiple lists before). ConvertKit will just apply both (or all) of the Tags to that Subscriber and won't create any duplicates.
Learn how to Export your Subscribers
Something happening you didn't expect? You can troubleshoot using the resources below: