If you want to feel less inclined to use your phone, turn on grayscale mode and you’ll instantly notice that your phone is a lot less exciting to spend time on. This is a long known trick that marketers use to engage you — colorful badges and bright branding can suck you in without you even know.
In one study, researchers found that up to 90% of snap judgments made about products can be based on color alone.
Stop getting fooled so easily and start using grayscale!
Here’s how to set it up:
- Open your iPhone’s Settings > General > Accessibility
- Tap Display Accommodations
- Toggle Color Filters to On
- Tap to check Grayscale
Next, create a shortcut:
Thankfully, there’s a super quick way to easily switch between regular color and grayscale.
- Go to iOS Settings > General > Accessibility
- Scroll down to Accessibility Shortcut > select Color Filters
Now, just press the home button three times (iPhone X triple-tap the side button) to enable or disable grayscale. Triple-tap again to go back to color.