All Collections
Investment Accounts
Legal details for Chip Investments
Legal details for Chip Investments

Everything you need to know about how we're regulated, who looks after your money and what you can do if something goes wrong.

James avatar
Written by James
Updated over a week ago

In this article we'll look at the legal details around Investing with Chip.

Please note: Chip can't provide financial advice so you may want to seek guidance from a qualified professional if you are unsure or have detailed questions around investing. Your capital is at risk

How is Chip regulated for investments?

For our investment platform, Chip is an Appointed Representative of P1 Investment Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, under Firm Reference Number 752005.

Where is the money held?

Seccl Custody Limited acts as the custodian for the money held in an ISA or GIA with Chip.

We use them to provide the behind-the-scenes technology that powers our investment Platform, and Seccl is responsible for holding your cash and investments. However, you won't need to liaise with them, and Chip's support team can handle all your queries. You don’t pay any fees to Seccl.

Seccl Custody Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under Firm Reference Number 793200.

You can read more about them here:

Seccl Custody Limited is registered in England and Wales at 20 Manvers St, Bath, BA1 1JW (Number: 10430958).

How do I close my investment account?

If you wish to close your account, you simply need to sell all the fund units you have, the money will arrive back in your linked bank account within 3-5 working days. Please note, we can’t close your account if there is still money in there, so make sure you don’t make any additional investments.

At the moment we don't have the ability to close off investment accounts individually and you would need to close down your entire Chip account in order to do this.

How do I make a complaint?

We recognise that things can go wrong. We want to learn from our mistakes and improve your experience whenever possible.

If you want to raise a formal complaint with us, you can do this either through email (at, by post, or using Chip's live chat (this can be found under the Profile tab in the app).

Our postal address is: Chip Financial Ltd., Sixth Floor, Fora, Montacute Yards, 1‍86 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1 6HU.

You can find more details about our complaints process here:

Am I covered by the financial services compensation scheme (FSCS) when investing through Chip?

If you are eligible, you could make a claim for up to £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) under their Investment Scheme.

This means that in the event P1 Investment Management Limited or Chip Financial Ltd is declared to be in default and cannot meet our obligations, you may be able to claim compensation.

It’s important to understand that the FSCS doesn’t cover you in the event that your investments go down and you get back less than what you put in.

Further information is available from the FSCS website (

Did this answer your question?