The ability to easily Invoice clients is a crucial part of running a business—and, fortunately, something you can do right through HoneyBook! Our Invoice file includes a list of services/prices and a payment schedule, and allows your client to seamlessly make their payment online.
There are several elements involved in Invoice creation, including:
- Creating Invoice Templates in advance, to save yourself time and effort.
- Creating the Project that requires an Invoice.
- Customizing the file's header to fit your brand.
- Adding package Templates or individual items for which you'll be billing.
- Creating and editing the payment schedule.
- Personalizing the email that you send with the file.
Prefer a video walkthrough? We got you. Check it out here.
To send an Invoice:
1. Find or create the Project that requires an Invoice, as Invoices need to be associated with an existing Project.
- Find a Project: search via the search icon in the top left corner of your Home page, or select the Projects tab to review your full list of Projects.
- Create a Project: learn how here.
2. Once in the Project's workspace, click the New File button.
3. Select Invoice from the file menu.
4. Choose to start with a blank Invoice, a recently used Invoice, or an Invoice Template.
HoneyBook Tip: Changes you make to this file will only save here. If you started with a recent Invoice or Template, the original files won't be affected!
5. Customize your file header (file name, background image, and more)—you can learn how here.
6. In the Items section, click Add New Item to choose some services. You can:
- Select a Package Template, if you've created some (if not, here's how!)
- Choose a recently used Item
- Add a brand new Item by typing in an Item name, then clicking the Add (+) button (this will also add these items to your Item Bank, for easy selection in the future!)
7. Edit the details for each Item or Package by clicking on the field you'd like to update: name, quantity, price, tax rate, etc.
HoneyBook Tip: You can also rearrange the order of Items: the 6-dot Icon that appears on the left side of the Item indicates a drag-and-drop!
8. In the Schedule Payments section, customize your payment amounts and due dates. Learn more about editing payment schedules here.
9. Click the Client View button in the top right corner to preview what your client will see, or just click Next: Review Email to proceed.
10. Review your email subject line and body, and make any edits you'd like. Learn more about editing your emails here.
11. Click Send! HoneyBook will send the email and Invoice right to your client.
Want to learn more?
- What your client sees when you send a file
- Your clients' payment options
- Getting paid through HoneyBook
Still have questions? Feel free to send us a message by clicking the Question Mark icon on any HoneyBook page. Our team is always happy to help!