We’ve simplified our pricing! We now offer our new Individual and Business plans and refer to messages as “credits.” Credits work the same as messages – we only changed the name. If you signed up before February 16, you can learn more about these changes here.
Credits are the fundamental units used to access data and make API calls on IEX Cloud. Each API endpoint has a certain “data weight,” or a given number of credits that are used every time you make an API call with that endpoint.
For example, the Earnings endpoint has a data weight of 1,000 credits per symbol per period. This means you would use 1,000 credits to see a company’s earnings for one specific quarter.
Credits make your subscription with IEX Cloud flexible and adjustable to your use case. You may use a higher volume of lower-weighted endpoints, fewer higher-weighted endpoints, or a combination. Note that certain endpoints are only available with paid plans on IEX Cloud.
The IEX Cloud Console “Credit Use” tab automatically keeps track of how many credits you have used so far in the month. Check out our API documentation to see the data weights for different endpoints on IEX Cloud.
Why do different API endpoints use different numbers of credits?
Data weights are determined by a number of factors, including agreements between IEX Cloud and our third-party data providers, the cost of sourcing the data further upstream, and other computational costs.
Rather than requiring customers to pay for a preset selection of data in bulk, credits give you the flexibility to choose exactly the data you want to use with your subscription and how often you want to use it. IEX Cloud serves a diverse range of use cases and is designed to make data accessible for everyone.
How many credits do I need, and which plan should I choose?
Each IEX Cloud plan provides a different monthly allocation of credits, tokens for connecting your applications to your account, and user logins. The different plans also come with a designated set of tools and available datasets, which you can see on our pricing page.
You can choose your plan based on your use case:
- The Individual plan: This plan is ideal for personal use, projects, students, building basic applications, testing, freelancers, and light use.
- The Business plan: This plan allows for more scale and flexibility for growing technology companies and larger enterprises. With more credits, tokens, and user logins, it’s built to help growing businesses scale, bring flexibility to how firms build, and make it easier to integrate IEX Cloud into your team’s workflow.
In addition to choosing your base plan, you can also further customize it by adding packages. Packages add credits for more data usage, tokens for connecting more apps to your account, and user logins.
To help choose your plan and how many packages you need, it can be helpful to estimate how many credits you’ll need on a monthly basis. Once you know what data you would like to use on IEX Cloud, you can estimate your monthly credit usage by referencing those endpoints’ data weights in our documentation and multiplying that weighting by how frequently you will request this data.
Our calculator here can help assist with a rough estimation. Alternatively, use the following formula as a guideline:
Data Weight x Number of Symbols x Frequency = Credit Use for that API Endpoint
For example, let’s say you were looking to see the last three quarters’ earnings for a list of 5,000 companies. The Earnings endpoint uses 1,000 credits per symbol per period.
Your credit usage for that endpoint would be:
(1,000 credits) x (5,000 symbols) x (3 periods) x (1 call per symbol) = 15,000,000 credits
Core credits vs. Pay-as-you-go Credits (For legacy Launch, Grow, and Scale plans only)
On our legacy plans, each IEX Cloud plan provides a different number of monthly core credits, as well as a different pay-as-you-go credits.
Core credits represent the base number of credits included with your subscription each month. Core credits can be used towards any of the Core Data endpoints included with your plan. Your core credit usage is reset at the beginning of each calendar month.
Pay-as-you-go credits can be used in addition to your core credits as needed and are priced at a discounted rate. After you’ve used your core credits for a given month, you can use pay-as-you-go credits to continue accessing as much data as you need. With legacy Launch, Grow, and Scale plans, pay-as-you-go credits can also be used to access Premium Data — specialized datasets that can be added onto your subscription.
It’s recommended that you enable the automatic use of pay-as-you-go credits in the IEX Cloud Console. This setting helps prevent disruption in your service and allows IEX Cloud to default over to using pay-as-you-go credits after you have used all of your core credits for the month.
If you do not have the automatic use of pay-as-you-go credits enabled, IEX Cloud will pause access to data after you have used all of your core credits and will restore access at the beginning of the next month.
Best practices for credits
Make the most of your credits by checking out these IEX Cloud features:
- Sandbox testing: Test IEX Cloud for free with randomized test data — no credits required.
- Cloud Cache – automatically enabled with Individual and Business plans: More efficiently use your credits by storing and reusing the data that you’ve already requested from IEX Cloud. Let us handle the work for you with Cloud Cache. Cloud Cache is automatically included with Individual and Business plans. Learn more.
- Packages (for Individual and Business plans only): If you need more credits with your Individual and Business plans, you can simply add packages. Learn more about packages.
- Pay-as-you-go credits (for legacy Launch, Grow, and Scale plans only): Enable pay-as-you-go credits in the IEX Cloud Console. This ensures that you can continue to access data without interruption if you use all the core credits allocated with your subscription for the month.
- Getting Started on IEX Cloud
- How do I stream data?
- Can I cache data?
- Testing with the IEX Cloud Sandbox
- How to use the IEX Cloud API
- Can I use more credits once I’ve hit the monthly credit quota?
- Other FAQs