Intro to the Headlines App
In this article, we will review Headlines within the Apps section in CommandCenterHD (CCHD).
The Headlines App is the easiest way to bring dynamically updating content to your digital signage. Templates range from fullscreen to sidebar options, and you have real time updated content without you having to do a thing. Social Media or local news feeds are fully supported in this app.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Headlines App requires CCHD version - v19.1.001 or later.
DEVICE SUPPORT: Headlines only work on Devices that support Static HTML. However, if you have a device that doesn't support HTML, you can turn on Enable Legacy Assets under Slide Settings to create a Remote Image instead. This option is limited, only updating once an hour and showing only the main item.
Accessing, Installing, and Activating the App
Trying to access the App? You can use the following article to understand how to find, install, and activate the App if it is available in your CCHD account:
Creating a Headlines Source
1. Navigate to Sources in the sidebar on the left of the page.
2. On the Sources page, click the Create Source button in the top right corner.
3. In the window that populates, fill out the following fields:
Name - Give the Source a unique name.
Source URL - Enter the source URL for the feed.
Format Type - Choose the type of source based on the feed: RSS, Atom, or IW RSS.
4. Once finished, slick Save.
Creating a Headlines Slide
1. Navigate to Slides in the sidebar on the left of the page.
2. On the Slides page, click the Create Slide button in the top right corner.
3. Select from one of the Templates for the Slide based on whether you want the content to be a sidebar or a fullscreen asset.
4. On the Slide Editor page, you'll see a preview of the feed on the left and settings on the right.
NOTE: You will not see a preview at first. The preview will populate as you configure the source and settings for the slide.
While on this page, you can configure the settings for the slides by navigating back and forth between the Feed Settings and Slide Settings:
Source Display Order - Choose the order for the items in the feed to display: Default, Oldest to Newest, Newest to Oldest, or Random.
Source - Select a source from the options available.
Title - Select a option to be the title of the Slide.
Description - Select a option to be the description of the Slide.
Image - Select a option to be the image of the Slide.
Date - Select a option to be the timestamp of the Slide.
Add Another Source - Choose if you'd like to add additional sources to add to the Slide.
Slide Name - Give the Slide a unique name.
Item Limit - Limit the number of items to be displayed.
Enable Legacy Assets - If your devices can't handle HTML, you can enable this option to create a Remote Image asset instead. This Remote Image will update once an hour, instead of dynamically.
Duration - The length that each item will display before it moves onto the next item.
Display Title - Add a single title that will display on all Slides..
Colors - Edit the colors on the Slide.
Images - Add a logo to the Slides.
5. Once you have entered all of the required information click on the Create button.
6. You can then click the Back button or select the Slides button on the left navigation to go back to the Slides page to create additional headlines.
Editing a Headline
To edit the Headline Slide, click on the Thumbnail or Pencil Icon in the bottom right corner of the Preview on the Slides page.
Removing a Headline
To delete a Headline Slide, click the Trash Can Icon in the bottom right corner of the Preview on the Slides page.
Adding a Headline to a Template or Campaign
Once you are ready to start using your Headline on a Template or Campaign, follow the links below to review how to add a piece of App Content to the background or slide: