In this article you will learn how Kickbooster tracks clicks and pledges made towards your campaign through Kickbooster.
What does Kickbooster use to track activity?
Kickstarter allows you to insert a Google Analytics tracking code to your campaign page. When you sign up with Kickbooster, we need to connect to that same Google Analytics tracking code. Without connecting to Google Analytics, you won't be able to activate your Kickbooster referral campaign.
To learn how to connect your Google Analytics, check out this article.
What is Kickbooster able to track, exactly?
Through Google Analytics, Kickbooster has the ability to track when someone visits your campaign after clicking on one of your Booster's referral URLs.
We are able to track clicks, pledges, adjustments, cancellations and any failed credit card payments that happen.
Are there ever any cases where referrals aren't tracked?
Yes, there may be cases where a referral is not tracked through Kickbooster:
- Based on limitations provided by Kickstarter, we are only able to track pledges that occur within the same browser session as the initial click.
Different browsers and devices define a session differently, so the accuracy of all pledges varies depending on the person being referred to the campaign. This limitation is because Kickstarter doesn't allow campaign owners or third party software to place a tracking pixel or cookie information within the Kickstarter platform.
- Google Analytics cannot track the source of conversions when users block cookies. As a result, Google Analytics may report some conversions as direct, rather than attributing them to a referrer.
- Currently, it’s not possible to track traffic to your project from the the iOS and Android Kickstarter Mobile app through Google Analytics.
- The backer is using an Ad Blocker that either blocks Google Analytics by default or has been customized to block Google Analytics.
- The Campaign Owner/Merchant is logged in to Kickbooster and has clicked one of their Affiliate links to make a purchase. In this case, we do not track the purchase a referral.
Why is Kickbooster reporting more clicks to my project than Google Analytics is showing?
Users may click on a Kickbooster link but close your project page before it loads fully and sends analytics data to Google. This is especially common on mobile devices where project pages take longer to load. When this happens, Kickbooster may report a click on your project, but Google Analytics will not get a chance to record a visit to your project page.
Why is Kickbooster reporting referrers that I don't see inside my Kickstarter dashboard?
Kickbooster connects to your Google Analytics to track the activity through Booster links to your campaign. If a user clicks on a Booster link, lands on your campaign page but then clicks around to view other campaigns before making their pledge, it is possible that Kickstarter will mark that as a direct referral source. Google Analytics will recognize that it came through a referrer as long as the pledge takes place within the same session.
How does Kickbooster prevent fraudulent pledges being made in return for commissions?
At the end of your campaign, we can pull in the necessary pledge validation information to verify that the pledge was successfully charged by Kickstarter. Read more about our pledge validation process here.