The insurance industry differentiates between theft and disappearance: Theft is when the item is stolen from the renter. Disappearance, or "voluntary parting," is when the renter disappears with the equipment, which is extremely rare (under .01% of all rentals or under 1/1000 rentals). The insurance and damage coverage available on KitSplit (and all short-term gear coverage more generally speaking) do cover theft and damage, however there are occasionally rare occurrences they may not cover, including fraud or voluntary parting (this is when a renter does not return your gear- as opposed to when the gear is stolen from the renter, which is covered). As an owner it is very unlikely that you'll be a victim of disappearance and KitSplit will do everything in our power to help you retrieve the gear. But we recommend that in addition to KitSplit's coverage, all owners get their own comprehensive annual policy coverage for general peace of mind + to cover rare exclusions that apply to the standard short-term gear rental coverage KitSplit accepts and sells. When buying an annual policy, make sure to consider "voluntary parting" coverage. You can email email@example.com to purchase an annual policy with voluntary parting coverage, or visit AthosInsurance.com.
As a gear owner, should I be worried about voluntary parting?
Overall, we do everything in our power to minimize the possibility that anything will go wrong. Damage and theft are extremely rare on KitSplit. If something DOES go wrong, KitSplit will work our insurance partners to promptly promptly fix, or replace your item.
We're committed to creating a safe and trusted community. We have several security measures in place , including, but not limited to, the following:
- Not just anyone can rent on KitSplit—we vet everyone who joins and collect and verify personal information including a government-issued ID before they are "vetted" and allowed to post a listing or request a rental. Renters and owners also must agree to our Terms of Service.
- When renters rent your gear, they're also required to use a credit card which and we use a secure payment processor that includes fraud protection services.
- We further emphasize transparency between parties by requiring ratings and reviews.
- You always decide who you rent to, and when. Don’t be shy about communicating with a renter if you have specific questions about them or their plans for your item. Only rent to renters that you feel comfortable with.
If you have concerns about someone who is renting from you, reach out to us.
For more information about what KitSplit does to protect you on our blog:
- 7 Ways Kitsplit Protects Gear and Maximizes Your Earnings
- 9 Simple Things Successful Kitsplit Owners Do
Questions? Concerns? We're here to help. Chat us or email us firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 917.722.6792—we're always happy to hear from you!