Do I need insurance to work as a nanny?

Information on the insurance Koru Kids provide while you are working as a Koru Kids nanny

Support avatar
Written by Support
Updated over a week ago

This article has been written for the Koru Kids Nanny Service for nannies who are thinking about applying.

Koru Kids pay for a group policy for Public Liability insurance for our nannies up to £2 million limit of indemnity.

Full details can be found on the full insurance policy.

The intention is that you have insurance protection if a claim is made against you in the unlikely event that negligence is alleged against you following accidental third-party injury or damage to third-party property.

Please note that this cover applies only if you do not have your own insurance in place and only while working as a Koru Kids nanny.

Here are the key things you need to know about how the Koru Kids nanny insurance policy works:

  • You will only be insured when working as a Koru Kids nanny. Therefore, it’s essential that all shifts are submitted, approved and paid through Koru Kids. Babysitting for example, would only be insured if payments are handled through Koru Kids.

  • You won’t be insured while working a trial shift or if you are on a ‘short-term contract’ (defined as being contracted for 50 hours or less in total), unless you already have a DBS check from the past 12 months.

  • If your family need you to administer medicine or drugs for their child, please read this article as it may prejudice your insurance if the conditions detailed within the insurance policy are not complied with.

  • The insurance only covers ‘reasonable day to day activities’ including, for example; trips and outings, light domestic duties, sleep training, potty training and baby massage. Check with us if you’re not sure!

  • There is a £250 excess for each property damage claim for which you are legally liable to pay (not Koru Kids or the family).

  • The insurance only covers unintended injury or damage, not any acts that are considered ‘deliberate, wilful, malicious or criminal’.

  • This type of insurance is called Public Liability insurance. As your employer, your family will also need to have Employers’ Liability insurance. Check with them if you’re unsure, or feel free to share this article with them.

  • In the event of an incident, please complete this incident report form and send it to It is important that you notify us about these incidents as soon as possible.

The above information is meant as a summary only and does not form part of the insurance contract. Please familiarise yourself with the full terms and conditions of the insurance policy and ensure that you comply with all conditions therein.

Click to read the full insurance policy outlining the full terms and conditions.

Did this answer your question?