This help centre article was written for anyone thinking of applying to become a childminder in the Koru Kids' Home Nursery service

  • If you’re too sick to work or have an infectious illness that may put the children in your care at harm, then you’ll have to close your setting.

  • Whilst your setting is closed, parents will need to pay for alternative childcare arrangements, so we do not require them to pay for your services whilst you’re shut—in other words, you don’t get paid for those days.

  • However you do have the option to take paid holiday from your annual allowance to cover days when you’re sick—this means you would still get paid by parents, although it would reduce the number of days you could take as holiday later in the year.

  • You can read about how childminder illness works in more detail here.


Have any questions? Send us an email to

Did this answer your question?