This help centre article was written for childminders preparing for registration with the Koru Kids' Home Nursery service

Quick Links


How to get written permission from your landlord/lady or leaseholder

You can’t work as an Early Educator until you’ve got permission from your landlord/lady or leaseholder (for tenants only). We’ve included an email template below to help you speak to them about childminding in a way that sets you up for success.

Here’s all you need to do to get permission:

  • Create a new email. Then copy and paste the email template we have written below:

To whom it may concern,

I am in the process of applying to become an Ofsted registered childminder through Koru Kids. As a rental tenant I need written permission from my landlord/lady to satisfy the Ofsted (the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills) registration’s requirements.

Working as a childminder from the property I currently rent should not:

1. Change the use of the property (it should remain residential!)

2. Damage your property beyond its normal use (as per Ofsted ratios, I am only allowed to look after 3 children which will not damage the property more than if a family with 3 children was living in it)

3. Require you to do anything more than giving your permission (you might need to check that you have an appropriate ‘tenant insurance’ - see question 4 of the attached FAQ doc)

You can find more information in the attached FAQ document. Alternatively, you can email

I am very excited to change my career by becoming a childminder.

To allow me to move to the next step of the registration process, can you please give me your permission by responding ‘YES’ to this email within 3 business days.

Yours sincerely,

  • Add your signature to the end of this email (simply type your full name after ‘yours sincerely’)

  • Add an attachment: Open, download and attach our landlord/lady information pack to this email.

  • Once you have permission from your landlord/lady, please forward the email to us at to let us know.

  • If your landlord/lady doesn’t give permission, please also let us know at

What your landlord/lady or leaseholder needs to do:

  • All they need to do is respond to your email saying they give their permission, or if they wish, send a formal letter.


Why do I need to get written permission from my landlord/lady or leaseholder?

It’s one of the Ofsted requirements of becoming a childminder. You can’t become an Early Educator without it!

What should I do when I receive written permission from my landlord/lady or leaseholder?

When you receive written permission from your them, please forward the permission to us at

What should I do if my landlord/lady or leaseholder doesn’t give me permission?

Some landlords/ladies or leaseholders may choose not to give written permission.

  • If you’re landlord/leaseholder says no, please let us know by emailing

  • Unfortunately, we can’t progress your application without this written permission, but please reapply if you move property or your circumstances change in the future!

What if my landlord/lady has questions I can’t answer?

The answers you need should be in the Landlord/lady information pack, but if not, please send us an email at and we will be happy to help all we can.

How long does it take to receive permission from my landlord/lady?

Sometimes it may take a while for them to reply, but luckily there’s a few things you can do to speed the process along:

  • Contact them as soon as possible! The sooner you contact them, the better.

  • Follow up regularly if you haven’t heard from them. We’ve found that calling them with a quick reminder often works well!

  • Email us if they aren’t responding - if you’ve tried all of this and they still aren’t replying, let us know. We may have some tips and tricks that can help!

What happens if I receive permission from my landlord/lady but decide not to become a Koru Kids Early Educator?

  • No worries! Please just inform us and let your landlord/lady or leaseholder know.

About planning permission

Planning permission is different from landlord permission.

  • Landlord permission is always needed when operating as a childminder from your home.

  • Planning permission is granted by your local council and permits you to run a business from your home premises. This is generally only needed when you expand to care for more than 6 children or work with an assistant. You can email us about this if you are interested in taking on an assistant in the future, but it's not something you have to look at right now.


Have any questions? Send us an email at

Did this answer your question?