Local authority safeguarding hub

Details on how the local authority safeguarding hub works and how to get in touch with yours

Support avatar
Written by Support
Updated over a week ago

This help centre article was written for childminders preparing for registration with the Koru Kids' Home Nursery service

Quick links

What is a Local Authority Safeguarding Hub

  • Every local authority is responsible for the safeguarding of the children in their borough.

  • Local authorities have Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hubs (or MASH teams) who deal with child protection referrals.

    • A MASH team comprises a group of practitioners, still employed by their individual agencies (local authority, police, probation, health services, etc) but co-located in one office.

    • By combining the information held by the full range of agencies working with a child or family, the MASH process allows practitioners to build up a fuller picture of an individual child’s circumstances and history before deciding the most appropriate course of action to keep them safe.

  • Each Local Authority Safeguarding Hub will have different procedures for reporting child safeguarding issues.

    • You must become familiar with the procedures for your local authority. Please find contact details and training information below.

  • Most Local Authority Safeguarding Hubs offer Safeguarding training for any professional working with children or vulnerable adults.

What is a LADO?

This is a designated person at your local authority that deals with safeguarding concerns about adults who come into contact with children. You should refer a case to the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) where it is alleged that a person working with children has:

  • Behaved in a way that has harmed or may have harmed a child;

  • Possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child;

  • Behaved towards a child/ren in a way that indicated they are unsuitable to work with children.

Where do I find my Local Safeguarding Contact Details?

  • You can contact your local Family Information Service, who will be able to provide you with your borough's Safeguarding details.

  • Alternatively, most boroughs list their details online and can be found by searching the internet.

  • If you are struggling to find the correct information, you can reach out to Koru Kids, who will be able to help.


Did this answer your question?