All Collections
Home nursery: Childminder registration & training
When to notify your local authority about a safeguarding concern
When to notify your local authority about a safeguarding concern

Guidance on safeguarding concerns, allegations and when to notify your Local Authority

Support avatar
Written by Support
Updated over a week ago

This help centre article was written for childminders preparing for registration with the Koru Kids' Home Nursery service

Quick links

Safeguarding concerns about children

  • It is your legal responsibility to safeguard children and to appropriately share any concerns that you have about children.

  • If you become aware of any abuse or suspected abuse of a child in your care you must immediately notify your Local Authority Safeguarding Hub (or MASH team) for advice

    • You must ensure that you log factual information: the date, time, marks or comments, disclosures (word for word ideally) that you are concerned about on a “Cause for Concern” form.

    • You can find contact details for all Local Authority Safeguarding Hubs here.

    • You can find out more information on how to recognise abuse on our article on Recognising Abuse.

    • The Designated Safeguarding Lead at Koru Kids is Laura Hoyland.

Allegations made against you or someone you work or live with

  • If an allegation is made against you or someone you work or live with, you must contact your Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) immediately (or at least within one working day) for advice, before taking any action.

    • You should make a written record of the information (where possible in the child/adult’s own words) including the time, date and place of the incident/s, persons present and what was said.

      • You should sign and date the written record.

  • If an allegation requires immediate attention, but is received outside of normal office hours, you should consult the local authority children’s social care emergency duty team, or the police, and inform the LADO as soon as possible.


Did this answer your question?