Anonymous Login is a feature that allows learners to take lessons via a link rather than having to enter an email address and password. This is also a bit different from Single Sign On (SSO), which allows you to log in to Lessonly through a third party service provider. For SSO, check out this article here.
With Anonymous Login, there is no need to create users manually. Simply set your lesson to “Shared,” build out the links for each Learner, then send those links to the right people.
How to build links:
Anonymous Login allows your learners to access lessons or courses by following URLs with unique IDs appended to them.
You will want to use a shared lesson link to get started; then, append ?ext_uid= to the end of the link. From there, add whatever alphanumeric ID you’d like after the equals sign.
Important Note - Each link works for a single lesson. If there are multiple lessons that a Learner needs to take, there must be a link for each of those lessons.
Here’s an example where the unique ID is 000001:
Note - If you are currently logged in (after previously following an Anonymous Login link for example) then ext_uid is ignored and you will access the course or lesson as the user that is already logged in.
For security purposes, you must also add a security hash to the link. This hash will be generated by you once you enable Anonymous Login in your account. Instructions for using the hash are available in your account via Company Settings.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Take the Shared URL from the content page: https://domain.lessonly.com/lesson/314579-test
- Then append ?ext_uid=1234 to the end of the URL. “1234” as the unique user ID
- Add &h= for the start of the hash
- Generate anonymous login security key: OHkjGLOrq49Ts7qNrXqd2hwF3qiufKyA
Important Note - YOU MUST CREATE YOUR OWN HASH using a hash calculator. A good website would be: https://xorbin.com/tools/sha256-hash-calculator
- Using the format of ext_uid:anonymous login security key
- For example: 1234:OHkjGLOrq49Ts7qNrXqd2hwF3qiufKyA
- Inputing this into the hash calculator will generate a hash like: d696bc4f173492cf78d0bfd46d05ac3e9df3ba3cb762808bc6365fdc4fbde0a8
- To break it down the URL:https://domain.lessonly.com/lesson/314579-test
- Then append everything so the URL ends up being: https://domain.lessonly.com/lesson/314579-test?ext_uid=1234&h=d696bc4f173492cf78d0bfd46d05ac3e9df3ba3cb762808bc6365fdc4fbde0a8
One important note is:
- A generated hash is required for this feature to work.
If you have any questions or would like to enable this feature for your company please reach out to your CX Manager or email Support at email@example.com