What are contacts in my Livingtree Give account?
"Contacts," as they relate to the Livingtree Give platform can be:
- People you know - Such as friends, family, work colleagues, members of social groups or sports teams that you involved in, etc.
- People you don't know - Such as the general public, local businesses, parents or staff within your child's school who you don't know, etc.
These are just some examples. There are probably scores of people who might already be considered people you know (contacts) or potential contacts.
What can I do with the Contacts Management tool?
Your Livingtree Give account is built with a contacts management tool that allows you to:
- Add contacts one-by-one (or in bulk via a downloadable template), track and manage (edit/delete) contacts, online in the Livingtree system.
- "Segment" your contacts based on the type of contact they are, such as alumni, board member, donor, member, parent and volunteer.
- Capture and save basic notes about your contacts to help you recall actions needed for particular contacts (IE - calling a contact back on a certain date).
- Capture and save those contacts who have donated to your campaign ("donors"), as well as the $ amount and status of their donations.
- Export some or all of your contacts via Excel sheet at anytime.
Why is saving contacts in my account important?
Having the ability to effectively promote your Livingtree Give campaigns/fundraisers to contacts is a crucial aspect of overall fundraising success. Loading and saving your contacts will allow you to quickly and easily communicate with them using the Livingtree platform.
Additionally, PTAs/PTOs and other organizations in particular, can use the contacts management tool as an effective way to manage their members/contacts, in a real-time, ongoing basis. Say good bye to paper lists or manually managed excel lists!
How can I add contacts to my account?
To add contacts manually (one-by-one):
- After logging into your account, go to the "Contacts" tab on the left and then click the "Add Contact" button.
2. From the "Add a Contact" popup:
- Assign an existing "Contact Type" from the pulldown list OR begin typing in the field to add a new contact type. Once a contact type is selected, a box indicating that s/he is now assigned to that contact type populates the field. Note: Contacts may be assigned more than one contact type (not required)
- Add contact's first name, last name and email (required)
- Add contact's zip code and phone, if you have it (not required)
- Add any notes relevant for your contact. For instance, enter a reminder/note for a future action that you might need to take (IE - "Mr. Jones would like me to call him back 1 week from now - He wants to donate $1M dollars to our campaign!")
3. Click the "Save Contact" button. You should now see your contact listed in the contacts list.
To upload contacts via import template (multiple):
- Click the "Download" button. An MS Excel template titled EdbackerImportTemplate.xls will be download this file to your local drive. Open the file.
2. On the template, for each of your contacts, add at least First Name, Last Name and Email to the specified columns. Other columns are optional.
3. Once you have added all of your contacts to the import template, save the populated template to the local drive on your computer.
4. Click the "Import Contact" button. A directory with the ability to search for your saved, populated template should appear. Select your saved file and click open.
5. Next, you will see a screen titled "Please, map columns." This is a screen/tool to help you validate and "map" the data on your saved file to your Livingtree Give account. If you have not altered columns within the template in any way, then you do not need to do anything here. If you have made changes to any of the columns on the template, your contact data may not load properly.
Note: Notice that, similar to the template, contact First name, Last name and Email are followed by an asterisk (*), indicating that they are required pieces of information. Other pieces of information are optional.
6. Next, you will see a screen titled "Please, choose for which campaign we should track payments." If you have created a campaign that you would to track donations (payments) for, the contacts that you are uploading, you can select the fundraiser from this list. If you prefer not to track payments, click Skip.
7) You should now see your contacts loaded into your Livingtree Give account. These saved contacts are now ready to be sent emails via Livingtree Give's communication tool.