How to bid on Municibid
In this post we will show you how to bid on an item on Municibid
Please note: You must have a Municibid account with a credit card on file to bid. You can get your free account here.
STEP 1: FIND YOUR ITEM
The first step in bidding on a item is to find an item you want to bid on. You can do this in multiple ways:
- Click search in the menu bar
- Click Ending Soon! in the menu bar which will show you auctions ending soon
- Click browse in the menu bar which will show you all of our auctions
- Choose a category or location on the left side
Once you find an item you are interested in click on the picture or title to be taken to the item page.
STEP 2: PLACING YOUR BID
To place a bid, Enter your bid in the white bid box (1). This amount must be greater than or equal to the minimum bid amount (2). Amounts higher than the minimum bid will automatically be included in our proxy bidding service. (See below for more information on proxy bidding). Next click “Submit Bid” (3) to confirm your bid. Click “Submit My Bid" on the following page to submit your bid.
A few things to note on placing a bid:
- You cannot out bid yourself. The system knows what your current bid is and will not move up your bid to meet your proxy bid unless someone else out bids you or it meets a reserve amount.
- If an item receives a bid within the last 2 minutes, the auction end time will be extended two minutes from that point until no further bids are received. This feature is used to protect bidders from “bid sniping” or programs that come in at the last possible second to place a bid.
What is Proxy bidding? Example: I am bidding on a widget that is currently listed at $10. The most I am willing to pay for the item is $15. I put $15 in the maximum bid box. It will place my bid at the minimum bid price of $10. If someone else would bid on the item, the system would automatically place a bid for me at the next minimum bid. This will keep happening until I reach my maximum bid which was $15
Confirming your bid
Once you click “Submit Bid”, on the item page, you will be taken to a page to review your bid. This screen shows you what your Maximum bid is for the item however it does not tell you what the current bid is for the item.
You will also notice “A 8% Buyer’s Fee up to $___ will be applied to your account.” We apply an 8% buyers fee on top of the final bid of the item to the winning bidder.
Buyers Fee Example: You are the highest bidder for an item that sells at $100. You will pay the seller $100 through their payment process listed on the item page. Your credit card will be charged $8.00 (8% of $100) for our buyer fee. Your card will not be charged $100.
Finally Click the Green Submit My Bid to submit your bid.
- Find an item you want to bid on
- Place your bid in the white box in the bidding section.
- Click Blue Submit Bid Button
- On Next Page Click Green Submit My Bid
- Pray no one outbids you.
How do I know if my bid was placed?
- You will see your status on the item page. It will let you know if you have been outbid, are the high bidder but reserve hasn’t been met yet, or if you are the high bidder.
- You will also receive a bid confirmation email.
If you do not see either of these then your bid did not go through and you must re-enter your bid.