By now, you’ve probably heard all about the EU’s new privacy regulations called GDPR going into effect May 25. We’ve written about them and outlined what we’re doing operationally to prepare. Our email technology partner (EMMA) have been working hard to make sure that NamasteLight is GDPR-compliant, and today, we’re excited to walk through those new changes inside your NamasteLight account.
GDPR-Ready Signup Forms
Consent is a huge priority defined under the GDPR and the regulation’s text clearly defines how consent can and cannot be given. As marketers, we’re used to using the term “explicit”, but the GDPR lays out a set of conditions for informed consent that reinforce your subscribers’ rights and puts specific obligations on the shoulders of you, the data controller.
When it comes to your signup forms, that means:
- Making it clear exactly what they’re signing up for. No more pre-checked checkboxes.
- And letting them know they can unsubscribe at any time
With that in mind, we’ve added some new options to signup forms to help you gain consent from your subscribers.
• All-new email authorization and tracking authorization consent fields that can be customized with your own messaging
These changes are included for both Lightbox popup forms as well as our classic static signup forms.
The Manage Preferences page has also been updated so that existing subscribers can manage their tracking preferences. The options that display on this form will match the options you choose to include on the signup form.
Updates to the contact record page
Under new GDPR guidelines, data subjects — in this case, your subscribers — have the right to: transparent information about your processing of their data; deletion, correction, portability of their data; and the right to restrict or completely revoke consent for future processing of their data, including objection to any automated decision making that may be in place based on their personal data.
So with that in mind, we’ve added some functionality to NamasteLight that makes it easy to respond and act on your subscribers’ requests.
• A new Tracking Consent toggle lets you enable or disable tracking pixels on a subscriber’s contact record. If tracking is disabled, the subscriber will still remain an active member and will continue to receive any mailings sent to them, but you won’t be able to see any of their behavior typically tracked: like opens, clicks, forwards, and shares.
• New Export and Delete functions. The new Export function bundles up all of a subscriber’s data into a shareable CSV. And now, when a subscriber is deleted from the Archive, all of their data is permanently removed from our platform, including their mailing response data and all personal data you have stored about them.
Note: The Delete function will remove all of a subscriber’s personal data within NamasteLight and any systems connected to our app, but that subscriber’s data could exist elsewhere. If you have provided a subscriber’s personal data to NamasteLight as a part of a Support or Professional Services request, please contact email@example.com for assistance.