Being a part of Octoly is a great way to review new products and brands for free on your social media channels, as well as build meaningful relationships with awesome brands! Unlike some of our competitors, the criteria for joining Octoly is pretty realistic.
To be accepted for YouTube, you need to have just 1,000 subscribers, an average of 1,000 views per video in the last 30 days, and upload beauty, lifestyle or fashion videos consistently. If you’re applying with your Instagram account, you need a minimum of 5,000 active and engaged followers, and regularly post original, honest, and FTC compliant content to be eligible!
While you meet all the criteria, you may still sometimes struggle with getting brands to work with you. While we cannot predict the needs of each brand on our platform, we have compiled a list of tips to help you win the game based on what most brands look for when approving creators for campaigns.
1. Upload consistent and good quality content
If you’re serious about working with brands, you’ll want to treat your previously produced content like your professional résumé. Since brands don’t know you personally yet, and rarely have time to sit through hours (or even minutes) combing through your channel, you’ll want to ensure you’re giving off the best first impression! A few things to keep in mind while creating Octoly reviews:
- Post your review on time. You have 21 days for Instagram and 28 days for YouTube (from the date you receive the product) to create and publish your review. Please note, we highly recommend that you respect this deadline, otherwise your order will be expired and you will lose your credit forever.
- Keep your review online for at least 30 days after publishing it. This will allow both the brand and your viewers to see the content you worked so hard to create.
- Create honest reviews of the product. If a brand sends you their products, it’s because they expect you to try the products and review them. While some brands may provide more detailed guidelines than others, all of our brands expect you to review the product in a professional manner.
- Always make sure your posts are FTC compliant - honesty and transparency not only keeps you looking professional (and out of trouble with the FTC!) but it also goes a long way with your audience
- Feel free to publish multiple reviews of the same product. You will probably use the product in several other reviews, so why not publish them all on Octoly so the brands see it.
- Refrain from posting too many products in one picture and/or video to keep your reviews qualitative. As per our guidelines there should be no more than 5 products received from Octoly in one Youtube video, and no more than 3 Octoly products in one Instagram picture.
- Pay close attention to the Golden Rules section when you apply for products. Make sure to add product links to your description box, add the brand and product name to your video title or description box, and tag the brand in your social media posts. These are things that give the brands even more reasons to love you!
2. Maintain a professional demeanor on your channel
Brands appreciate a little bit of personality, and maybe even a little sassiness, but don’t let that overpower the nice, awesome person that you are! Put your best foot forward and make sure that at least your channel trailer and profile picture show off your professional side.
3. Apply to work with brands that fit your channel’s style
If you’ve never done a hair tutorial but apply for only hair products, there is a chance that the brand will be afraid to take such a big risk.
That’s not to say that you shouldn’t try new things — in fact we encourage it!
But if you’re wanting to play it safe and are just getting started on the platform, try applying for opportunities that are similar to what you’d generally feature on your channel.
4. Write a genuine note to the brand
Although most brands on Octoly don’t require a personalized proposal, a little ‘hello’ can make a world of a difference!
Besides just introducing yourself and your channel, we also recommend explaining to the brand how you plan to use their products and what kind of reviews you’d like to create.
Of course, thanking the brand in advance will increase your chances of getting accepted to the campaign too!
5. Avoid being too pushy
We know it can be tempting, but avoid messaging, tweeting, or emailing the brand while you wait. This can come across as entitled or pushy, and our brands work hard to make sure they deliver a quick response. Just remember: patience is a virtue. If for some reason the brand takes longer than normal to approve or deny your order, (we totally understand how frustrating that can be!) just email us so we can cancel your order or nudge the company to make a quicker decision.
Just in case you are not accepted to a brand’s campaign on Octoly, don’t be discouraged. All of our brands have different criteria and it’s impossible for any creator, big or small, to fit the needs of every single brand.
At Octoly, we are constantly adding new products to the Free Store, so don’t hesitate to apply to receive more products.
Eventually, you will find a brand that meshes well with your channel, and once you do, we’re sure your collaboration will be magical!