Inserting Headers and Media
For media content and headers, click on the “+” button to insert one of the following: Header, Image, Image Gallery, Video, Collection, Interaction.
The descriptions of each option are as follows:
- Header - To create a section header, select the black “+” sign on the left-hand side and select “Header.” For example, the words “About this Course” (in the picture above) is a header.
- Video - When you want to embed a video into the course, select the black “+” sign on the left-hand side and select “Video.” You can then copy and paste the link to the video you wish to embed.
- Image - When you want to insert an image in the course, select the black “+” sign on the left-hand side and select “Image.” Upload your image, select the image you wish to insert, and click “Insert.”
- Once you have inserted your image you can right, left, center, and wide format align you images using the edit image menu (right picture).
- Image Gallery - When you want to insert a collection of connected images in the course, select the black "+" sign on the left-hand side and select "Image Gallery." Upload your images, select the images you wish to insert in the order that you want them to appear, and click "Insert."
- Collection - When you want to embed a collection into the course, select the black “+” sign on the left-hand side and select “Collection.” Enter the name of the collection you want to insert into the search bar, select the collection, and click insert.
- Interaction - when you’re asking your learner to actively do something (e.g. upload a collection, share an artifact/resource, etc, share a tweet, etc.), select the black “+” sign on the left-hand side and select “Interaction.” For more about building interactions in a course, click HERE.
Writing your course
To begin writing your course simply locate the cursor and begin typing anywhere. You may also highlight any text to bring up the rich text editor menu. This provides you with several options:
- Standard text options - Underline, bold, italicize, uppercase, quotations, etc.
- Hyperlink - Highlight the text you would like to link and simply add the url when prompted
- Numbers/Bullets - This allows you to add bullets or number to the line that your cursor is currently resting on.
Make sure to edit the details of your course as well! On the right side of the course editor you will see a menu for “Actions” with three options: Edit Details, Test Course, and Clone Course.
- “Test Course” will allow you to see a version of the course that will be similar to what a learner would see with functioning interactions.
- “Clone Course” will allow you to make a copy of the course which will show up under your studio tab. Finally,
- “Edit Details” will allow you to modify several characteristics of your course (see pictures below).
- Overview - Under the “Overview” tab you will be able to modify the name and description of your course. Your description should provide a clear, engaging, and succinct overview of your course. In other words, if it were listed in a course catalog, what are the 2-3 sentences you would use to describe it?
- Metadata - Under the “Metadata” tab you will be able to classify which grade levels your course is designed for (if it is designed with a grade level in mind). It also offers a limit number for how many learners can be enrolled as well as the option of adding tags.
*Always be sure to save the changes to your course by clicking “Save Changes”