Free domain and hosting on all plans
Pathwright provides you with a custom subdomain for free formatted like this: subdomainofyourchoice.pathwright.com. If you would simply like to change the subdomain that you chose at sign-up, email us at email@example.com and we can change that for you.
Custom domains start with the Essentials Plan and above, so if you're on the Starter Plan or haven't activated your account yet, you may be asked to activate or upgrade.
Here are the steps to add your custom domain:
1. First, purchase the domain name you'd like to use from Namecheap, GoDaddy, Hover, or any other domain name provider.
2. Next, if you’re familiar with DNS, point your desired custom domain with a CNAME record to "custom.pathwright.com", then contact us and let us know what custom domain you’ve chosen. We'll complete the setup on our end.
Or, if you're not comfortable with managing your DNS, send us the following information and we'll walk you through the next steps.
1. What is the URL of your account currently?
2. What is the domain registrar for your new custom domain? Or, if you've connected your domain to another DNS hosting service, what service are you currently using?
3. What is the URL for your new custom domain?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the chat in the lower right corner.
Q. Will I need to renew anything on my end?
A. Pathwright provides the SSL certificates. Renewals are automated by our platform as long as the DNS record pointing to our platform remains in place.
Q. I already own a domain name that I use for my primary website. Can I use that name or must I create a separate domain?
A. We can't put your school on a domain name that is identical to your primary website, but you can use a subdomain, and that should be free for you to use. For example, if your primary website is yourname.com, a subdomain would look like learn.yourname.com.
Q. I don't have a primary website and I would like to direct my domain name to my Pathwright account without using a subdomain. Is this possible?
A. Yes, it's possible, but the process will be slightly different. Here are several options:
We can put your school on a subdomain, like learn.yourname.com. This would leave room for you to eventually create a separate landing page at www.yourname.com and yourname.com if you chose to do so in the future.
If you want to keep your domain, i.e. yourname.com, reserved exclusively for your school, then the ideal route would be to set up a redirect on your registrar for the apex domain to go to www.yourdomain.com. However, not all DNS providers allow for this.
Another option would be to use CloudFlare DNS, because CloudFlare can forward an apex domain to Pathwright properly whereas some DNS providers don't allow that. CloudFlare is free to use and we can walk you through the process.