Overall, Dimensions allow you to distribute your data (e.g., based on a date, product ID, acquisition channel, etc).
There are two types of Dimensions: Dimensions “from API” are those which are already available in your Data Source whereas Custom Dimensions can be created directly in Reeport, off the top of one or several Data Sources.
If you want to build a Custom Dimension called “Time of the Day” where “Morning” is from 7AM to 12PM, “Lunch Time” is from 12PM to 2PM, and “Afternoon” is from 2PM to 6PM, then you would have to build a Custom Dimension with 3 values (“Morning”, “Lunch Time” and “Afternoon”) with the relevant Conditions in order to include the corresponding time slots.
A Custom Dimension can be based on Conditions (“Mobile trafic only” vs. “Desktop + Tablet” filters), Data Sources (“My Google Analytics View #1″ vs.”My Google Analytics View #2”), and Date Ranges (“Current year” vs. “Last year”).
Create a Custom Dimension
- Choose “Custom” on the Widget Dimension option
- Click on “Select a Custom Dimension”
- Click on the “Add one” button
- Name your Custom Dimension and click on “Add a Custom Dimension value”
- Give a name to your first Custom Dimension value and click on “Add Segment or Filter”
- Select existing conditions or click on “Add One” (see below how to Create a new variable)
- If needed, add other Custom Dimension values and hit “Save”
During the Custom Dimension value edition, if no Data Input is set, the Data Source and/or the Date Range is inherited by default.
Create a new Variable for Custom Dimension
- From Custom Variable Builder, click on “Create One”
- Choose the appropriate source for your Custom Variable (NB: it should be the one from which you want to pull your data from, Google Analytics Segment here for example)
- Name your new variable and click on list to choose the appropriate dimension to look at
- Use the search bar to find the appropriate dimension and click on it to select it
- Define one or several criterias and click on Save