This article will help you to:
- Compare data over two Date Ranges in a Line Chart
- Understand the offset function in the advanced view
The following example explains how to compare a metric over the last month with the same metric over the same month of the previous year.
Comparing two data series in a Line Chart
- Start by creating a Line Chart (read the article to create your first Widget).
- Let's take Date (cross-API) as dimension and Sessions as metric.
- Double-click on the Widget to enter the advanced view. Duplicate the metric from column A. Set the Date Range of the new column to "Same Days Last Year".
- Since the Widget dimension is a Date, Reeport displays the days one after the other. It is therefore necessary to create a Relation metric to put the two metrics on an equal footing. To do so, create a third column and change the type of the metric from "API" to "Rel".
- You can now use the offset(X,n) function which returns the value from column X, n rows before the current row. Here you can type offset(B,31) since March contains 31 days. You can also use the formula offset(B,sum(if_else(A==0,1,0))) so that this calculation remains dynamically valid for all months of the year.
- Hide column B and then set the display threshold in column C to 1, to hide the empty cells.
- You can now style your Widget: rename your metrics, then choose their format. Modify the title, adjust the colors or the size, it's up to you!