This article will help you to:
- Understand the concept of universal fields
- Create universal fields
- Use universal fields
Universal fields are metrics or dimensions which you can set up in order to work across several data sources.
In the exemple below we want to have a single universal field called "Universal Impressions" which can be used with any of my data sources. As a result, instead of having to select "m_adv_impressions" from AT Internet, "ga:impressions" and "metrics.impressions" from Google Ads I will now only need to use "Universal Impressions".
This is what it looks like after using it in a widget:
Create a universal field
Go to your Library and do the following:
- From the "Universal Field" tab, click on "New Universal Field"
- Name your universal field and add a description (optional)
- Choose between a metric type or a dimension type for your universal field
- Add a field location, then you have to select a view among your datasources and finally select a field (this is necessary in order to list all the available fileds).
- Before validating your field location, you have to select the location level:
Data source type: the universal field will affect all views of the data source
Data source: the universal field will affect all views of the account
View: the universal field will only affect a specific view
- Validate your field location. You can add another or save your universal field.
Use your universal field
From the builder mode, when creating your report, universal fields simply show up where other metrics and dimensions are.