As a store owner, you can create and manage OAuth tokens in the BigCommerce control panel by creating an API account, as described below.
To create your API account and its corresponding token, use the following steps:
- Log into the store, using the store owner's username/password.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Select API Accounts. This will display the Store API Accounts page.
- Select Create API Account. This will display the Create API Account page shown above.
- In the Name field, summarize the purpose for which you will use these credentials. (This name is for internal use only, so assign any name that you will recognize.)
- In the OAuth Scopes section, select at least the minimal scopes your app will require (as explained here).
- Select Save at the page's lower right-hand corner.
Once your successfully save your account, a pop-up (shown below) will appear with your Client ID and Access Token. These are the API credentials that your app will need to run authenticated requests, and most browsers will automatically download a .txt file with all these credentials onto your computer. This file also contains the base API Path for your store, preconfigured for the v3 API.
There is no way to re-display this pop-up after you select Done to dismiss it, so make sure to save your credentials.
From a security perspective, these credentials are sensitive – please treat them with the same caution that you would treat a private key or root password.