Topic: 2D Character Animation with After Effects
Skill Level: Beginner - Intermediate
Type: 12 Week Intensive
About This Course
If you’ve ever tried to animate a Character in After Effects, you know how difficult it can be. Posing, Timing, and the Pose-to-Pose method become your best friends as a character animator, and this course shows you the way to apply all of them. You’ll learn how to deal with complex character rigs (which we provide). You’ll learn the pose-to-pose method of animation inside After Effects, and master the art of Posing.
You need to be comfortable in After Effects to take this course. We recommend taking Animation Bootcamp first, as many of the lessons in that course will help you immensely when you move into the realm of characters. Animation Bootcamp isn’t required, just recommended.
Schedule and Course Length
12 Weeks of Character Animation Bootcamp
Week 1: Orientation week
Week 2 - First Half of Week 5: Lessons and Assignments
Second Half of Week 5 and First Half of Week 6: Catch up week (no new assignments or lessons this week)
Second Half of Week 6 - Week 8: Lessons and Assignments
Weeks 9 - 12: Extended Critique
Instructor - Morgan Williams
Morgan has been a professional animator and animation director for over 20 years. He has created work for numerous clients including Sony Pictures, the BBC, Comedy Central, and WGBH Boston and have been the recipient of several awards including a local ADDY®, a Telly, and a Best in Show award at Minnesota Siggraph. His short film work has been screened at festivals around the world including the Philadelphia International Film Festival and the Annecy International Animation Festival. Morgan is also a full time faculty member at Ringling College of Art and Design teaching and developing curriculum in the Department of Motion Design.
- Be engaged from anywhere in the world on your own schedule. Lessons open at a specific time but you can watch them and do your work whenever it is convenient for you.
- Built in catch up weeks, extended critiques, and very flexible deadline policies make completing this course possible for even the busiest professional.
- All of our courses are taught completely online through prerecorded lesson videos, podcasts, and handouts.
- Students typically receive homework assignments twice per week, which have soft deadlines.
- All student work is critiqued by our highly trained Teaching Assistants. School of Motion TA's are professional motion designers with real life experience in the industry.
- During the course you will be invited to a private Facebook group that contains all of the Teaching Assistants and students in your session. This is a great tool for connecting, asking or answering questions, sharing thoughts or insights, and winning cool contests!
- 15-20 hours per week
- 13 Assignments (typically assigned on Mondays and Thursdays with soft deadlines the next day)
- Adobe After Effects CC 2014.2 (13.2 or Higher)
$897 or 3 payments of $315 ($945 total)