We have a subscription fee for using Sharesies once your Portfolio value is over $50. Your Portfolio value is the total value of the investments you own plus the amount in your Sharesies Wallet converted to NZD. There are transaction fees that apply when you invest in NZ companies and/or US companies and exchange-traded funds.
All new Sharesies investors get the first month of their subscription for free. After the first month, you can choose between an annual subscription or a monthly subscription.
Kids Accounts are half the price of an adult subscription.
If you choose an annual subscription, you pay $30 per year (no matter what your Portfolio value is). Anyone can choose an annual subscription.
If you choose a monthly subscription, you pay a subscription fee based on your Portfolio value (the total value of the investments you own plus the amount in your Sharesies Wallet) on your subscription renewal date. For example, if your subscription renewal date is on 2 July, your fee is based on your Portfolio value on 2 July.
- If your Portfolio value is less than or equal to $50, there is no charge
- If your Portfolio value is between $50–$3,000, you will be charged $1.50 per month
- If your Portfolio value is more than $3,000, you will be charged $3 per month
You can choose to pay your subscription fee with a card (debit/credit) or from your Sharesies Wallet.
When you buy and sell shares in NZ companies, US companies, NZ managed funds, and US exchange-traded funds (ETFs), you’ll be charged a transaction fee based on the dollar amount of each order (in NZD or USD)—these are also known as ‘brokerage fees’:
Here's how the transaction fees work:
- If you made an order of $30 into Company A. This includes a 0.5% transaction fee of $0.15. Meaning you invest a total of $29.85 into Company A.
- If you made an order of $3,000 into Company B. This includes a 0.5% transaction fee of $15. Meaning you invest a total of $2,985 into Company B.
- If you made an order of $6,000 in Company C. This includes an $18 transaction fee; $15 for the first $3,000 (0.5% x $3,000), and $3 for the remaining $3,000 (0.1% x $3,000). Meaning you invest a total of $5,982 into Company C.
- Transaction fees are charged per investment ordered. So if you were to place orders for three different investments, you’d be charged a separate transaction fee for each of these.
Please note that you're only charged transaction fees when you invest in NZ companies, NZ managed funds, US companies, and US ETFs. NZX-listed ETFs don't have a transaction fee. Transaction fees are the same for both market orders and limit orders.
If you have any questions on the fees please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Management fees—NZ ETFs and managed funds
When you invest in a fund, you’re charged a management fee. These management fees are charged by the fund manager, not Sharesies, and are included in the unit price.
The management fees are a set percentage and are different for each fund. You can find info about the management fees for each investment option on the fund info pages, found on the fund managers’ websites:
Card processing fee
There’s no fee to top up your Sharesies Wallet with a bank account transfer.
To top up a Sharesies Wallet from a credit/debit card, or to buy a Sharesies Gift, the card processing fee is 2.65% + $0.18. For your first ever Wallet card top up (for an amount up to $100), we’ll cover the card processing fee for you.
Sharesies charges a 0.4% exchange fee based on the amount you’re exchanging.
Amount to exchange (Amount – 0.4% exchange fee) X wholesale rate = How much you’ll get
You can find more information about how to exchange money in your Sharesies Wallet.
NZX market depth
NZX market depth is a subscription add-on. If you subscribe to NZX market depth, it costs $10 per month, and you get your first month free. Read more about NZX market depth and the fees. NZX market depth is only available for NZX-listed investments.