MailChimp is a marketing automation platform and an email marketing service (it's a system for sending your email newsletter - and much more). Sheep connects directly to MailChimp to keep your database and email lists in sync.
MailChimp Setup in Sheep
- Log into Sheep
- Select ‘Settings’ from the left hand menu (If you can’t see Settings as an option then you don’t have Admin permissions)
- Select API Keys
- Paste your MailChimp API key into the form field for 'Mailchimp Api Key' (see section below if you don't already have an API key)
- Add the list name in the form field 'Mailchimp List Name' if you want Sheep to automatically add new contacts to MailChimp
- Sheep will display the lists that you have within MailChimp. Select which lists you want to import contacts from.
Creating a MailChimp API Key
- Log in to your MailChimp account
- From the top-right drop down menu select your account
- From the ‘Extras’ menu select ‘API Keys’
- Create a Key
- Give your new key a label (e.g. ‘Sheep’)
- Select and Copy the API key
Sheep checks every night for new subscribers to your mailing lists and pushes new contacts up to MailChimp every couple of hours. If you don't want to wait you can subscribe and remove a single contact from a MailChimp list under the journal section of the contacts page.
There are several reasons why the number of subscribers in MailChimp doesn't match the number in Sheep.
- Timing delay
- Contacts in Sheep with no email address
- Contacts that have opted out of email
- Contact that haven't given consent (or have withdrawn it)
- Contact that doesn't have another GDPR legal basis for processing
- Contacts rejected by MailChimp: (we get errors like
email@example.com has signed up to a lot of lists very recently; we're not allowing more signups for now)
What gets synchronised?
A normal configuration has data flowing both ways but you have full control through the settings in Sheep.
The recommended MailChimp setup is to have a single 'Master' list will all subscribers. Sheep will pull data down from multiple lists but only one list can be designated for new subscribers.