You can use the SmartVault toolbar to upload and attach documents to QuickBooks entries using the following three methods:
- Upload and attach a document stored on a folder on your computer or on a network folder to a QuickBooks entry.
- Attach a document already stored in a folder in SmartVault to a QuickBooks entry.
- Quickly scan and attach a document to a QuickBooks entry using a Fujitsu ScanSnap, Canon imageFORMULA, or a TWAIN-compliant scanner (most scanners are TWAIN-compliant) connected to your local computer.
Attaching a Document to a QuickBooks Entry
1. Install the SmartVault Desktop software on your computer.
Note: The SmartVault toolbar used to attach documents to QuickBooks entries is included in the SmartVault Desktop software. For more information, see Installing the SmartVault Desktop Software.
2. Make sure that the QuickBooks company file you are working with has been added to SmartVault.
3. Verify that you are signed in to your SmartVault account from the SmartVault Desktop on your computer.
4. Open the QuickBooks company file that contains the entry to which you want to attach the document.
5. Select the QuickBooks entry to which you want to attach the document. The SmartVault Toolbar displays on the right side of the QuickBooks window.
5. Click the Attach paperclip icon.
Attaching a Document Stored in a SmartVault Portal Folder
1. Click the paperclip icon on the SmartVault toolbar.
2. Click Inbox in the Attach window.
3. Select the document from the Inbox, or click the All Folders tab to browse to a folder where the document is located.
4. In the Description field, specify a description for the document.
5. Select the document and click Move.
SmartVault moves the document from its current folder to the appropriate QuickBooks document folder under the VaultName\Applications\QuickBooks\Documents folder structure as found in the Portal.
Scanning and Attaching a Document using a TWAIN-compliant Scanner
1. Verify that a TWAIN-compliant scanner is connected to your
local computer and turned on.
2. If you want to create full-text searchable PDFs when scanning, enable the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) capabilities on your scanner.
3. Under Scanner, select your TWAIN-compliant scanner.
4. Place your document into your scanner.
5. Click Scan. SmartVault scans the document into the SmartVault Inbox.
6. In the Name field, specify a name for the document.
7. In the Description field, specify a description for the document.
8. Click Accept.
Scanning and Attaching a Document Using a Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanner
Verify that your Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner is supported, turned on, and that you have configured a SmartVault toolbar ScanSnap profile for your ScanSnap scanner.
1. In the system tray, click the ScanSnap icon and verify that there is a checkmark in front of the SmartVault toolbar profile.
Note: If another profile is selected, click the SmartVault toolbar profile.
2. With QuickBooks open to a supported transaction, place the document on the scanner and press Scan on the scanner.
3. In the Upload window, you can opt to use the SmartVault auto-naming feature or use your own naming convention.
If you want to create full-text searchable PDFs when scanning, ensure you enable Optical Character Recognition (OCR) capabilities after creating your SmartVault toolbar ScanSnap profile.