After a while, you may find that you have many inactive or former clients listed among your current clients in your SmartVault Connected Desktop.
You can archive a client in so that their data is still preserved, but their name no longer appears in your current client list in the Connected Desktop.
Archiving Inactive Clients
1. Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
2. From the Advanced view, right-click on the blue globe icon and select Create New Vault.
3. Name the vault Archived and click Create Vault.
4. Right-click on the blue globe icon and select View Dashboard.
5. Click the Files and Folder icon and navigate to the client's container.
6. Enable the checkbox to the left of the client name for the clients you wish to archive. Click the Copy selected items icon.
7. Click on the Archived vault you created in step 2. Make sure that the Selected folder also reflects the Archived vault and then click OK. You now have a copy of the clients as folders in the Archived vault.
8. Use the SmartVault Drive to copy or drag and drop the client's vault into the archive vault because SmartVault does not let you place a vault within another vault or folder.
Note: Since Windows File Explorer displays each container and vault within your SmartVault Drive as a regular folder, you can simply copy or drag and drop these folders into another vault within the Connected Desktop.
9. Click the clients' container once again and select the clients you wish to delete. Click the Send selected items to trash icon to delete the clients. Click OK to confirm.
Restoring an Archived Client
You may need to have a client restored with their files. In order to successfully restore a client, you will need to re-import the client and re-invite them to use SmartVault.
1. Re-import the client from your tax programs such as LaCerte or ProSeries.
2. Copy and paste the old files from Inactive Clients or the archived folder you created using the SmartVault WebDrive.
3. Invite the client to gain access to their account. For more information, see Managing and Inviting Lacerte or ProSeries Tax Clients.