This article will be grouped by:
The first step is to decide what you want to do with school leavers. You have three options:
Delete them - in most cases you probably want to delete their accounts. To do so, go to Account > Classes, select the names of the pupils and then press the "Delete" button, below. This method retains the class. Alternatively, you can delete the class and the pupils' accounts within it by selecting the class' name, then pressing the "Delete" button, under "Class Actions" (in the bottom, left hand corner of the screen).
Keep them and move them to a "leavers" group - on the Classes page, select the leavers and then use the dropdown "Move Selected" below to put them in a (new) class of their own, called something like "Leavers".
Keep them and leave them without a class - on the Classes page, select the leavers and then click the "Withdraw from class" button. This will move the selected pupils into the "Ungrouped" section, at the bottom of the list of classes.
For pupils who are moving up a school year, there are three steps to consider:
- Moving them up a year group
- Changing their class groups
- Resetting their scores
1. Move pupils up a year group
The first thing to do with children that are staying on is to move them up a year group (e.g. from Year 2 to Year 3 or from Year 7 to Year 8). On the Classes page, select a class (or the pupils individually, if you have mixed age classes), then choose their new year group from the "Assign to year" drop down list.
2. Change class groups
When it comes to moving pupils, you've got a few options and the most efficient method depends on whether pupils are really moving class or whether the class is simply changing name and how many pupils are moving.
If pupils aren't moving class (i.e. it's just their class name that needs changing):
You can rename a class on the Classes page by selecting the class, then clicking "Rename" in Class Actions, below.
Hint: remember to change the name of the Pastoral classes too if necessary.
If pupils are moving class:
If there's only a handful of pupils changing class, check the names of the movers on the Classes page, then use the "Move to Maths class" dropdown list below to select their new class.
If you've got lots of pupils changing class, it's probably more efficient to use the Uploader tool. Yes, that's right; you can move existing students with the pupil uploader, as well as adding new ones.
Here are the instructions:
- Go to Account > Classes and select the pupils you're moving. (Hint: it may be quicker to tick the names of the Maths classes, to select everyone.)
- Click the "Export CSV" button below. This will create a spreadsheet for you which you can now save and open.
- In the spreadsheet, change the children's Maths and/or Pastoral classes. (You can change any of the pupils' data EXCEPT their usernames. Please, whatever you do, don't change their username as that's what our system is using to determine whether they already exist or whether to upload them new.)
- Save the spreadsheet and go back to the Classes page, where you need to click "Uploader".
- Either drag the saved .csv file into the dropzone on the left, or browse to where you saved it. Alternatively, copy the pupil data in the spreadsheet and paste it into the box on the right of the pupil uploader.
- Follow the Uploader steps. It will do all the heavy lifting... creating the Classes for you and putting pupils into their new classes, while preserving pupils' performance data.
Hint: You may like to do Movers and Arrivers at the same time, using a single spreadsheet.
3. Reset Pupil Accounts
You may want to clear pupils' paper results, their rock names, their earnings or their speeds. To do so, go to the Classes page, select the students and press the 'Reset Users" button.
If you only have one or two students to add, simply use the "New Student" button on the Classes page.
To add lots of pupils at once, you're best off using the pupil "Uploader".
Prepare a spreadsheet with at least these four columns: first name, last name, maths class and year group. You can also provide a unique id for each one, their form/tutor/registration group (known to us as Pastoral Class), their gender and date of birth - however these are optional. If you'd like to specify their username and password to match ones they already use, you can do that too. It may help to see our example spreadsheet.
Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file. Then go to Account > Classes and click the "Uploader" button. Either upload the csv file, or copy the contents of the spreadsheet into the pupil uploader, then follow the steps on screen to complete the upload process.
Hint: You can add new pupils into the spreadsheet you're preparing for Movers (see above). In other words, you can upload one spreadsheet and our system will know the difference between the existing pupils that need updating and the new pupils that need adding.