2d. Define Your Goals for the Mentoring Relationship
Prior to meeting your mentee you should establish your expectations of the relationship. Below are some potential questions you may want to think through and discuss with your mentee.
- Where do you hope to be in five years?
- What do you hope to gain from this relationship?
- What role do you expect your mentee to play?
- Are there any ground rules you would like to set (e.g., confidentiality, openness, candor)?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What are your greatest weaknesses?
- Are any topics off limits?
- What do you think will be challenging about this relationship?
- What would you like the regular meeting schedule to be (length, time, frequency)?
- What criteria would you like to use to evaluate the success of the relationship?