4a. Assess the Relationship’s Success
To ensure that the mentoring relationship remains beneficial to both you and your mentee, use the below to facilitate a conversation every four to six months regarding the effectiveness of the relationship:
- Are we meeting with the appropriate frequency and for the right length of time?
- Are you following-up on our action items coming out of each meeting? Am I doing a good job following-up on mine?
- What do you like most about our mentoring relationship? What do you like least?
- Do you feel that I am challenging your behaviours and assumptions, not you as a person or your intellect?
- Am I helping you see the big picture?
- Are you learning from this relationship?
- What skills are you building as a result of this relationship?
- Am I providing you with the right kind of support? Enough support?
- How are we progressing on the goals and objectives you set at the beginning of the relationship?