3b. Identify Effective Discussion Topics
The topics you discuss during mentoring sessions should be centered around the specific goals you and your mentor agreed upon for the relationship. The illustrative questions below provide a good basis on which to begin your discussions.
Discuss highlights from each other's profile that stuck out to you. As a mentee, this is your time to discuss specific goals, skills, and motivations. As a mentor, this is your opportunity to figure out how you might be able to help your mentee grow.
- What is your motivation for signing up for the mentorship program?
- What would you like to improve on next?
- What is your next big challenge?
- What do you hope to accomplish in 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and 10 years?
- Ask about personal interests that intrigued you