Referral Organizations

  • DMARC United / The DMARC Housing Stability Fund provides emergency financial assistance for rent and utility bills to prevent families from becoming homeless. To request help, contact Polk County General Assistance at 515-286-2088, or visit them at 2308 Euclid Avenue, Des Moines. 
  • Catholic Charities of Iowa / St. Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. St. Joseph’s provides safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay. All families seeking shelter should contact primary healthcare outreach at 515-248-1850.
  • Polk County General Assistance Program / General Assistance provides temporary assistance with basic and special needs to eligible Polk County residents. To apply for assistance fill out an application and bring it to the General Assistance office (2309 Euclid Avenue) or call 286-2088 for more information. A social worker will determine eligibility and/or help seek additional resources.

If you are looking for financial assistance, contact us at with your name, phone number, and a brief explanation of your need. One of our staff will get back to you as soon as possible. Due to the large amount of requests we receive, we are unable to help everyone. 

Did this answer your question?