If you purchased Writable from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt – whether by itself or as part of the Into Literature or Into Reading curriculum – you can access Writable from HMH's Ed platform. Using Ed provides teachers with many benefits, from managing rosters to exploring interactive instructional and professional development resources.
A few helpful hints as you get started with Ed and Writable:
- Learn how to launch from Ed into Writable. You and your students must launch Writable from Ed to ensure your content permissions and Ed rosters are properly recognized in Writable.
NOTE: Even if you plan to use Writable with an LMS, you and your students must launch Writable from Ed at least once.
- Connect a Google or Microsoft account. If you (or any of your students) have ever used Writable in the past – perhaps in a trial/pilot or with a former teacher – you MUST connect a Google or Microsoft account when you are asked to during your first Writable session.
NOTE: Failing to connect the account upfront could result in you having multiple accounts with different assignment lists.
Will you be using Ed and Writable with an LMS? If so, consider these questions:
- Does my school or district use an LMS such as Schoology, Canvas, or Google Classroom? If so, please refer to our diagrams (linked below) and support articles on how to use Ed, Writable, and your preferred LMS together.
- Do I want my students' writing grades to be recorded in my LMS? If you want grades to post to your LMS gradebook, you can grade in Writable and have scores automatically sent to your LMS.
Quick-Start Diagrams (PDFs):
If you don't use an LMS with Ed and Writable, don't worry! Any teacher or admin can export assignment scores and writing to Google Drive, CSV, or PDF anytime.
We are here to support your school or district as you begin using Ed and Writable together. You can access the Teacher Support area inside Ed or:
- For Live Chat support (Monday-Friday from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm ET), please use the '?' icon in the green navigation bar inside Writable or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Technical Support (Monday – Friday from 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET), call 800.323.9239 or email email@example.com.
- For Rostering Support (Monday – Friday from 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET), call 800.323.9239 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are planning to integrate an LMS into your Writable implementation, we love to share best practices when using these platforms together. Book a time to discuss curriculum planning or technical questions for your LMS + Writable.
If you plan to have rosters and grades sync with your LMS, please ask your technical or district leaders to follow set up instructions and read these articles:
Canvas Admin Set Up | Canvas Support Articles
Schoology Admin Set Up | Schoology Support Articles
Google Classroom (No technical set up needed)