Ava real-time captions of Michelle Obama keynote, November 2017
What to do if your venue/event/conference is equipped with Ava:
Look for signage or communication about Ava, with a QR code and/or Ava Name.
You can join an ongoing session in one of 2 ways:
- Type in and connect with the Ava name.
- Scan the QR code to automatically join the session.
What to do if the venue/event/conference is not equipped with Ava (yet!)
If you know the organizers already.
- Give them information on how they can setup Ava accessibility for this event by sharing this guide.
If the event is more than a week out (there is still time before the start of the event):
- Find the contact information of the event organizers
- Fill an accessibility request with the button below, so we can help you request accessibility for this event.
- We'll be in touch to guide you and try to get accessibility for you by contacting the organizers. If we don't have an answer until 1 week before the event, we'll let you know and you may consider the next section.
If it's less than a week before the event (Do-It-Yourself approach)
- If it's a small event you can ask the presenter to wear a bluetooth microphone. If you don't have a bluetooth microphone yet, here are a few microphones we suggest and here is how you can connect them with your Ava app.
- If this is a larger event, you should order this and this equipment and get them in time for the event. The good news is that you can re-use them to caption any event you'll go to in the future.
- Print this guide for instructions on how to set up Ava at the event.
- Make sure you get a second tablet or smartphone (that can access Wifi). Bring both devices charged, and a charger if you can.
- Arrive at the event early and ask if they have any accessibility accommodation. If they don't, explain that you brought your own smart captioner, that can provide captions to you for every session and it is easily set up in less than 5 minutes.
- Show the guide you printed and ask to see an audio engineer (usually working at the audio booth in the room).
- Follow the instructions to a) connect the hardware, b) setup one of the device with Ava on. If you can, keep your smartphone charged. If you brought 2 devices, you can leave one of the devices near the audio system, and go into the audience, follow the live-captions on your device. If you have Ava Professional or Ava Campus, you'll be able to follow on a computer using Ava Web.
- Don't forget to get everything back at the end and thank the staff!
For questions about any of the above, reach us at email@example.com