Just a few more edits and you are ready to publish your first ebook.
Let's jump right in.
1 - REPAGINATE AND FINAL LAYOUT CHECK
The last and final thing that you want to do to your page layout is to have a quick check for areas where there might be more whitespace.
Why does this happen?
Each page has a dedicated pixel height and sometimes images and long paragraphs at the end of the page go over that amount. They therefore get moved to the top of the next page. There are a few clicks that you can do to quickly remedy this.
Steps for final layout check:
1. Look for images that have moved to the next page with a significant amount of space on the previous page.
Here is a great example. To the eye you might even think that there is enough space, but if you were to count the exact pixels of the whitespace and the pixels of the image you would see that the image is too tall and will not fit.
2. Grab the anchor point in the bottom right corner and move it inwards to decrease the size of the image. Then using the up arrow key move the image to the previous page. Now using the same point open the image to fill the whitespace. Make sure you don't open it too much as it will move back to the next page.
Moving that image will have caused more whitespace on the next page. That's where repagination comes it. Essentially, it recalculates the containers on the page to automatically sort everything so that you do not need to do it manually.
This is what the page where the image was looks like now. So we need to repaginate.
3. Click on the whitespace in the page to open the 'Page Content' toolbar. Next, click on the repaginate icon (it's the first one) and watch the magic happen.
2 - CREATE AND STYLE THE TOC (Table of Contents)
Creating a Table of Contents is super easy. Literally you just drag and drop the element onto the page. Remember the key here is that all of your chapters and sub-chapters have been turned into heading tags.
Steps for creating your TOC:
1. Click on 'Elements' in the sidebar. Then drag and drop the 'Table of Contents' element to the page.
2. Choose the format you want to use
Here's what it looks like:
3. Let's now change the style of the TOC
a) Heading: Select the 'Table Of Contents' container by clicking on it. This will open all the available options in the sidebar. Let's change the font style and size.
Choose the text style from the drop down menu.
Change the font and color. You can see that the orange I used previously has been automatically added to my color palette. This makes it easy to add the exact same color anywhere you like in your project. Click on the color and then the 'Choose' button.
b) Every line in the TOC is a link. It links directly to the relevant part of your document.
To change the style, first click on of the link container (the first line of text). The text and the numbers are separate links, so you need to do the same process for both. Make sure to turn on the 'Make Changes to All Elements' so it applies the change to all the text.
Then repeat the process for the page numbers.
That's it you're DONE!!
Lastly - click save and then Publish.
Remember to test publish to PDF. Check through the PDF to see if there are any alignment issues or things that require a bit more tweaking. Then clean those up and test publish again. Once you are happy with the end result publish and download your PDF.
Your ebook will open in a new browser window. Download the ebook using the download icon.
Congratulations, you have just finished creating your first ebook.
How to Remove White Space