Sick pay can be really complicated but don’t worry – we’ll calculate everything for you, and if your nanny is eligible we handle all the admin. You can find out more about Statutory Sick Pay here:

Who is eligible for sick pay? 

Due to the majority of roles being part-time afternoon work, unfortunately most Koru Kids nannies are not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). To qualify for SSP your nanny must:

  • Earn an average of at least £120 per week (Weekly earnings average is typically calculated on the previous 8 weeks of employment)

  • Tell you they are sick within 7 days

  • Have been ill, self-isolating or ‘shielding’ for at least 4 days in a row (including non-working days)

How many days you can get SSP for depends on why you’re off work.

*If your nanny is self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19), and is eligible for SSP, they will now be able to receive SSP from their first day of isolation (rather than day 4). More information can be found here.

**If your nanny is self-isolating because of coronavirus, but is not eligible for SSP, it is still our strong recommendation that you should continue to pay them. More guidance on what to do in this situation can be found here.

How do I pay for sick pay? How much do I need to pay?

  • An employee can receive up to £95.85 a week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for up to 28 weeks if they’re too ill to work.

  • Koru Kids will administer the sick pay for you. If your nanny has informed you that they are sick, and you think they might be eligible for SSP, please inform us and we will calculate how much your nanny needs to be paid, pay them and invoice you for this amount.

  • If you are eligible for SSP repayments from the Government due to Covid-19, please see below for full details on what you need to do.

If you are eligible to reclaim SSP due to Covid-19

The Government will repay all SSP claims for employers with less than 250 employees who were employing a nanny on a PAYE scheme before the 28th of February 2020. We will administer this for you as well, including making the application to HMRC on your behalf to reclaim the SSP.

Here’s what will happen:

  1. You tell us that your nanny needs to self-isolate and you think they are eligible for SSP

  2. We check your nanny’s eligibility based on their recent average earnings. If they are eligible, we will process the SSP through the normal payroll process. The SSP cost will be included in your monthly invoice.

  3. We will then submit a claim to HMRC for repayment on your behalf.

  4. If successful, the claim will be paid directly to you.

Did this answer your question?