I no longer have a health plan...what do I do?
Support avatar
Written by Support
Updated over a week ago

Every once in awhile life hands you lemons. If you recently received notice that you are losing your health insurance plan, fret not. You have 60 days to enroll in your new plan during this Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

The New Pre-enrollment process 

The Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) have revised the action steps taken during the special enrollment period. Beginning June 23, 2017 pre-enrollment verification starts for special enrollments due to loss of coverage or a move. The new process for enrolling in health insurance during a Special Enrollment Period requires pre-enrollment verification which CMS has termed SEPV. This means that consumers will need to submit documents verifying they qualify for the Special Enrollment Period prior to receiving coverage. An SVI (SEP Verification Issue) will be created for you beginning the process for enrollment. Once the SVI is created you have 30 days to provide documentation and choose your plan before your SVI is cancelled and then you will have to wait until the next open enrollment window (Nov 1- Dec 15) before you can enroll in a health plan.

I no longer have a health plan...what do I do? 

Once you know that you are losing coverage or have lost coverage you will need to act fairly quickly as you only have 60 days to enroll, you can choose to enroll either 60 days before or after the date you will lose coverage.These are the steps you will need to take.

  • Submit an application for Special Enrollment Period (SEP). Your application will create an SVI (Verification Issue) in the system.

  • Select a plan. If you need help searching plans Take Command Health can help you search the best plans in your area. Plan Enrollment is on hold until you provide further documentation. You have 30 days to complete process.

  • Mail in or upload documents providing proof that you have lost or will be losing coverage including the date coverage is ending. If you need to enroll multiple members of a household you will only need to provide documentation for one of the members and this will provide proof for the entire family.

  • Marketplace reviews your documents and may request additional proof.

  • Marketplace approves the SVI and sends you plan enrollment paperwork. 

  • Submit payment to activate and begin using your new plan!

Click here to see what Healthcare.gov says about what qualifies as proof of loss of coverage.

Did this answer your question?