How do I change my contribution rate?
Lovelyn avatar
Written by Lovelyn
Updated over a week ago

The quickest and easiest way to change your contribution rate is by asking your employer or payroll provider, or by doing so yourself, through your myIR account.

Asking your employer or payroll provider

To make a change to your contribution rate, you will need your IRD number and to know which rate you would like to change to - either 3%, 4%, 6%, 8%, or 10%.

Once you have this, fill out the IRD's KiwiSaver deduction form and hand it to your employer to complete. They will process this change on your behalf, when processing your payroll.

Changing the contribution rate through your myIR

To make this change, follow these steps:

Step 2: Once logged in, you will see a widget with the Kernel KiwiSaver Plan. Select the 'More' button.

Step 3: Scroll down to the 'Manage account' widget, select 'Change KiwiSaver contribution rate'.

Step 4: Follow the prompts to change your contribution rate from the existing rate, and submit the form. This triggers a notification to your employer to adjust salary deductions accordingly.

Please note: You can change your contribution rate once every 3 months, unless your employer agrees to a shorter timeframe.

Read more about changing your contribution rate on the IRD's website.

Did this answer your question?